Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

what are the best tasting carrots??

Most Recent Posts Brexit
Last post: Greengage
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex
What are you planting now?
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
corfiot
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: what are the best tasting carrots?? Reply with quote

Last year i sown carrots and they were wonderful---real carrot taste--but cannot remember the name of the seed.This year i have sown early fingers and the taste is rubbish,plus sown nantes and again no real taste though they are sweet but not a true carrot taste---which i always cook whole.Which carrot do you find to be best??
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chantenay Red-core is the best-tasting carrot. A lot depends, too, on how you grow them: I grow mine on land which gets regular and heavy applications of garden compost and leaf-mould, and a sprinkling of dry poultry manure raked in before sowing.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Ph'lib is correct, corfiot. How you grow any vegetable and the type of soil you grow in can change how a vegetable tastes. Also what one thinks is a great carrot, another may think it's not so great, that's one of the reasons you have a multitude of varieties. I like Nantes, it's a good old fashioned carrot, so is Chantenay, but others may think they are rubbish, so expect a lot if different varieties being mentioned as favourites and you will soon be confused. I think there was a post made by someone asking about what peoples favourite cabbage was, it was pretty mixed.
Get your notebook and pencil out and keep a few scribbles on what you are growing this year and how you think they tasted. Grow two or three varieties, if you have the space, of each variety, even if it's only a dozen of each, then you will choose your own favourite.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
corfiot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions--i am sure now they were Chantenay last year.The ground that i grow them in is well prepared with nutrients and well dug over with some fine sand added and always have lovely carrots--just love the real carrot taste!!Thanks again.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill is correct in his suggestion get the notebook out and get to know the good tasting and the poor tasting varieties. bear in mind that carrots are bred for colour appearance, shape earliness, disease and pest resistance, keeping quality and I know that taste is very far down the list of priorities for breeders. The older varieties like James' Scarlet intermediate and Red Elephant were regarded as good tasting varieties.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: