Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

july august planting

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
walshep
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: july august planting Reply with quote

This is my first year veg gardening (with great success!) But now I'm thinking forward towards winter veg. What should I be putting in for germination over the next couple of months. I hear Chinese cabbage do well. Where can I get seeds. Are there potatoes I can sow now for winter harvest. All advice an tips gratefully received Patrick
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to sow now (or in the next couple of weeks) is the seed of Spring Cabbage. Any of the many varieties will do - Flower of Spring, April, Durham Early, Wheeler's Imperial etc. I'm sowing mine this week in trays; I prick them out into modules when they're big enough, and pot them up into individual 4" pots later on. I plant them out then as ground becomes available, any time before mid-September. You'll be eating them from next March onwards. You can also sow late carrots - Autumn King is a good variety. And you can also plant out leeks and Winter Cabbage now (if you can get the plants).
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: july august planting Reply with quote

walshep wrote:
I hear Chinese cabbage do well. Where can I get seeds.

Spot on walshep, you can get in some Oriental vegetables and possibly overwintering onions.
You can still sow quick maturing salad vegetables such as summer lettuce, radish, rocket, sorrel, chicory and fennel.
Also sow spring cabbage and turnips.

walshep wrote:
Are there potatoes I can sow now for winter harvest.

This piece i wrote should explain a lot....... How to grow new potatoes for Christmas

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
walshep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info guys. Got me early cabbages in germination but really interested in the oriental veg slant. Am an ex chef so what I can grow and where to get seed would be really helpful. Know nothing about the climate requirements for all the wonderful orientals. will experiment with turnip varieties....am at 690ft in Wicklow but with good ground and southern exposure
Maire O'Leary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oriental greens do well at slightly cooler temperatures as they are inclined to bolt in the heat, You can get mixed or single varieties. I used to like a mixed packet from Thompson and Morgan called Nice n Spicy. You can order it on their website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: