Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Hydrangea - some living some not..is it me?

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Hydrangea - some living some not..is it me? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I hope everybody is enjoying their garden at the moment, I know I am!
So my latest query is on hydrangea. I stuck a couple of blue mopheads in last year before we really got stuck into the garden this year, and they are doing great, one is especially big with a lot of blooms. So about three weeks ago I bought two Hortensia white ones and planted them, both in bloom but not too large either. However, they don't seem to be doing great, the petals are going brown and the leaves also are becoming discoloured and tatty looking. Any ideas what I can do? I got some farmyard mulch and put loads on and I've been watering them well every evening (when we don't have rain). But they don't seem to be taking it. Given how good the others are doing I'm at a loss....

Thanks all,
Sunflower Very Happy
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own experience with hydrangeas is that they can take a little while to settle in...and maybe planting them in full flower adds to the stress of the change? I'm not an expert, but I'd say they will be fine next year.
Sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive,
Thanks for the quick reply, I was thinking that they might just be settling in too. Mind you I was told by the garden centre that they were best planted while in full flower, have you heard about that??
I really like them, something very old fashioned about them I think!!

Thanks again
Sunflower
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be drowning the roots. All this rain and watering? If the ground is wet right down below the roots then leave them alone, a good mulch of farmyard manure will stop too much moisture being lost by evaporation. You really have to make those roots work and get down to the water, you could be drowning the young root growth as it's trying to grow.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very experienced ,Sunflower, but I planted a lovely hydrangea with russet-coloured leaves...it had been living very happily in a pot in my previous garden, and I popped it into the ground here two years ago, and it sulked. I was so happy to see it putting on lots of fresh growth this year.
And another hydrangea given to me as a house-warming present did absolutely nothing for 18 months, but looks as if it is finally growing now.
So, I'm assuming they just take a while to settle in!
As for watering, you will soon get used to judging if a hydrangea is thirsty...the leaves become limp, and after a drink recover quickly.
verge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sive wrote:
I'm not very experienced ,Sunflower, but I planted a lovely hydrangea with russet-coloured leaves....

Was russet meant to be the colour Sive or was it about to shed or was low in potash? If russet was the actual colour then do you know the name. Very interested Shocked .

Sunflower did you plant your hydrangeas next or near establised trees or large shrubs as I have seen then struggle when planted in such positions.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Verge, No, believe it or not, russet is the actual colour of the leaves....and I don't know the name off hand, but will look in my books to see if I can find it. I really loved it when I grew it in a pot, and that's why I decided to plant it into my new garden here, and was feeling very guilty when I could see it wasn't thriving. Thank goodness it seems finally to have settled, as once it is healthy I hope to take cuttings.
Off to my books......
Sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the advice, with the watering thing though, sometimes after I water the ground is soaked but the space near the roots dries out very quickly. I actually think that I took too many rocks and stones out when we were clearing the soil, but the manure should help it along. It's funny though because the other ones were just plonked in last year with no love, the total opposite of the new ones, and they are doing great...we shall see how my white ones come along!

Thanks again folks Very Happy
Sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verge, sorry meant to reply in last post. I planted two and one is under a large tree and the other has a good bit of space, and while both are struggling a bit, it's the one with loads of room that is doing the worst. Though when I planted I cleared a large space for both and put loads of compost in with it. Mind you, it had small roots. about 5inches or so. I'm going to see how they get on over the next few weeks.

Thanks again!
Sive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again, Verge. I've just had an interesting half hour trying to add a photo to my post,carefully reading instructions, will try again.
In the meantime, I had a close look at the afore-mentioned hydrangea and maybe bronze would be a better description of the leaves. When the leaves are young they are a deep bronze with green veins, really beautiful and as the leaves get older they become a more greeny-bronze. The flower is a reddish-pink.
I can't find such a plant in any of my books, and I suspect the original label has been lost in the house-move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: