Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Is it possible to get rid of "dips" in the lawn by

Most Recent Posts christmas market.
Last post: Greengage
Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Daithic
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to get rid of "dips" in the lawn by Reply with quote

Ì had a lawn put down a few years back and have maintained it pretty well given the challenge of a couple of dogs and kids swings! There is one spot which I refer to as the "dip" which is about 8 foot long and 2 foot wide and is like a very small U shaped valley. I wondered if it was possible to continuously apply a mix of topsoil/sand/compost to the height of the grass and fill this in over time? Or do I just have to bite the bullet dig it out, add in topsoil and a few pieces of lawn roll?

Cheers!
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how deep is the dip?

if its a couple of inches, you can simply put topsoil over and the grass would grow through quite quickly....

protein

Daithic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd estimate about four/five inches from crest to hollow. Good suggestion, I think I did not want to introduce weeds if I could help it so I thought to try to avoid just topsoil(?)
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 4" or 5" deep you could speed up the process by sprinkling some grass seed in it, or lay a turf of grass on the topsoil.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Daithic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put some topsoil into it an raked it level with both the sides, we'll see the results in a couple of weeks I guess. I looked at rolling a sod onto it but felt this would not "stitch" unless I dug out a small amount from both sides so I think I'll just try to be patient and fill with the topsoil and see. Thanks
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The spot is manageable enough to use flat spade if you can't get hold of a turf spade(I find turf spades in short supply in Ireland, they are shaped like hearts) and dig out the grass into tidy rectangles.

You can then fill the dip to just above the level of the rest of the lawn (like the road people do to allow for sinkage) then put the turf back on again.

It will be invisible after a couple of weeks

Cheers

Daithic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inishindie wrote:
Hi

The spot is manageable enough to use flat spade if you can't get hold of a turf spade(I find turf spades in short supply in Ireland, they are shaped like hearts) and dig out the grass into tidy rectangles.

You can then fill the dip to just above the level of the rest of the lawn (like the road people do to allow for sinkage) then put the turf back on again.

It will be invisible after a couple of weeks

Cheers

Thats a great tip - kind of botox for lawns! Very Happy I have to wait for a while now to see the results of what I did but will definitely go this route with one or two more I have my eye on!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: