Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

What to plant after onions?

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Daithic
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: What to plant after onions? Reply with quote

In the past few days we lifted onions because we notice one had some rot on the base. I think now it was a false alarm but it will leave the bed open now for new planting. Any suggestions on what can be planted after onions at this time of year?
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could sow carrots, chard, kohl-rabi or late peas (choose a dwarf first early variety like Kelvedon Wonder), or you could plant winter cabbages (like January King) or Kale.... the choice is yours.
Daithic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Ph'lib wrote:
You could sow carrots, chard, kohl-rabi or late peas (choose a dwarf first early variety like Kelvedon Wonder), or you could plant winter cabbages (like January King) or Kale.... the choice is yours.

Yes, I was reading the other day that a quick rule of thumb is to go with the root veg - I didn't realise cabbage was also a possibility - are other brassicas too?

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: leeks Reply with quote

I'm digging up some early spuds soon and putting in the leeks. Maybe if you have some to thin out, you could put a row in....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: