Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Hedging between agricultural and residential property

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Trish D
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Hedging between agricultural and residential property Reply with quote

Hi - hope someone can help or point me in the right direction. I live in a cottage which is at the end of a bothairin and surrounded by agricultural land. I have a stone wall, which at some stage was coated in concrete, at the rear of the cottage approx 3 yards from the cottage. Last September, I arranged for the hedge in the field at the rear of the cottage / wall to be cut as it was so high it was blocking light into the cottage, up to the skylights! The owner of the land would not pay so I ended up paying. However, I note now that the hedge is actually damaging the wall and is up to approx 16 foot high at the moment blocking light again. Does anyone know what my rights are here? It's not really hedging in an ornamental sense as it is agricultural. If the hedge is damaging my wall, what can I do?
Thanks
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have a "right to light", but the hedge owner, I would assume, could be liable to sort out any damage caused by his hedge. He of course could say it's your reponsibility as you have maintained it in the past. It would probably have been easier to have enforced him to cut the hedge in the first place, but often we relent for the sake of being a good neighbour, then these things come back to bite us in the bum. It may be better now to get some legal advice as I'm sure you'll get lots of different advice on here which will confuse you.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the hedge is growing in your neighbours land then it is his. You are entitled to cut off any overhanging branches that come across your boundary and hand them back to him. Your neighbour is responsible for any damage done to a wall or other structure. get an engineers report on the wall. if the wall was there before the trees then you have a case as the trees should not have been planted too close to a wall.
A lot will depend on type of trees extent of damage to wall and what direction is being blocked off.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
verge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Original poster, please note.

Disclaimer: The Irish gardeners forum is for general information only and is not a legal advice forum.
We cannot guarantee the validity of any advice given to you.
So for all legal matters consult your local town/city council, solicitor, engineer, or relevant body/expert in that field with adequate liability insurances.
If you disregard this warning and proceed you do so entirely at your own risk.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: