Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Apple tree disease - any ideas?

Most Recent Posts Planting ideas for a very shaded area
Last post: TMAK
Anybody know what this is
Last post: Margo
Horrible weed-infested spotty lawn
Last post: Keeks
laneway weed - keep it or unwanted invasive?
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
eris
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Apple tree disease - any ideas? Reply with quote

Can anyone identify this disease that's afflicting my apple tree and if you can, is there a treatment? It doesn't resemble anything I've seen of the common apple tree diseases. All the leaves are like the one in the second picture, covered with irregular brown splodges. Some leaves also have markings that indicate they've been tunnelled by larvae - you can see them in the picture too. The larvae are very small - about half a centimetre long. But it seems to me that the larval problem is separate from the problem causing the brown splodges.

There are also white tufts - see the first pic - on the branches that secrete sticky stuff. The few fruit have fallen off at this stage. The tree has had the disease for several years but this year it looks quite terrible. I sprayed it with Bordeaux mixture at bud break this year and last, but that has had no effect.

AT3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.5 KB
 Viewed:  12990 Time(s)

AT3.jpg

AT6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  136.65 KB
 Viewed:  12990 Time(s)

AT6.jpg

Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like the leaves are suffering drought or drying winds. The white substane looks very like wooly aphid they tend to congregate on those lumps and bumps on apple trees where the tree is repairing wounds etc. It has saps quite close to the surface. Check by squishing them, if the squish looks like squished beasties then it's wooly aphid or a similar crerature. Normal spraying won't get through to them so you would need a systemic, the woolyness is a protection. A systemic won't work fast enough to prevent them spreading to other plants so while it's working get yourself some Isopropyl alcohol from a chemist, I always keep a bottle for dealing with the likes of these and scale insect etc. The alcohol breaks down the protection and gets into and kills the insect. You could also use a two pronged attack, spray with the alcohol, then hit them with permythrum once the coating is broken down. I mix the alcohol 50/50 with water for these jobs.
If your tree is badly infested all over with these nasties, then alcohol will be expensive, plus a bad infestation can be having that effect on the leaves.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Liparis is right it is wooly aphis and his treatment is correct. The browning of the leaves might be a different problem and the dropping of the fruit could very well be June drop even though it is July. There is a leaf miner attacking the leaf but this is not serious. it is very hard to get rid of Wooly aphis,
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
eris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - I'll try what you suggest. Squishing the white fluff produced wet brown stuff with soft granular bits, so I guess those were aphids. I guess the tree could be suffering drought - it's between a wall and a concrete area and shed, so it may not get all the water it needs.
DennisJennings

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Same Problem Reply with quote

Hi
I have exactly the same leaf problem as shown in the first post. I do not have the fluffy aphids problem.
Can anyone provide further help?
Many thanks
Dennis

Apple Leaf - Diseased.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.24 KB
 Viewed:  10481 Time(s)

Apple Leaf - Diseased.jpg

Margo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something like this on my quince tree. I took the leaves to Wisley. They told me it was a canker/rust and advised spraying with Bordeaux mixture, or cut it right back. I couldn't spray as the tree was over 20 ft high so I cut it right back. It flowered quite well after that but I never got any fruit.
michael brenock

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rather surprised that you were told at Wisley that canker was the problem as canker does not affect leaves, shoots and branches only. The leaf is being attacked by a leaf miner, seldom a serious pest and as the pest is concealed within the leaf between the upper and lower skin it is impossible to get at it even if you wanted to spray. Ignore the problem as the tree will survive the attack.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
DennisJennings

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,
Thank you.
Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: