Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Leeks

Most Recent Posts Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Leeks Reply with quote

How's everyone doing with their leeks? I planted out a bed of Musselburghs today after British Queen potatoes. Last week I put in a bed of earlies (Hannibal) after Derby Day cabbages. I have a hundred lates (Bandit) to go in (after Onward peas - when I've finished eating them!). Remember - you can't have too many leeks! - they're very good for you!
sharonl
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this is the third attempt to post this and it doesn't seem to be working so sorry if it appears 3 times Wink

Ours are a little dissappointing at the moment. Direct sowed them in the ground on the May bank holiday and they are still only about 4 inches tall and look like blades of grass. Sad I had thought they should be nearly ready to transplant by now but looks like they've a while to go yet.

sharonl

Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharon, I think you were a little late sowing your leek seeds. I sowed mine in pots on 12th February. Try feeding them with liquid manure - you can make some by steeping a bag of farmyard manure in a barrell of water. Stinging nettles or comfrey (and any other weeds - including switch grass) steeped in a barrell are good too, but keep the lid on the barrell, because it will stink to high heaven! Old soot is good too, if you can get it; a bag of it in a barrell of water is mighty stuff.
sharonl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we figured we were a bit late, but we only got the plot in end of april and by the time we had the beds dug it was the may weekend. The pack said sow up to may so we bunged em in anyway Wink nothing to loose and we'll have the winter to prepeare the beds this year so should have mammoth leeks next year Very Happy I'll try the liquid manure and maybe a bit of seaweed extract. It seems to have done everything else on our plot the world of good. You mentioned soot! is spent BBQ charcoal any good or would this poison plants?

sharon

Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about bbq charcoal.... it might be too new. Old soot is what's generally recommended. I have an old derelict house nearby, and the soot in the chimney and fireplace is about fifty years old!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeks can still be transplanted out but they will be smaller. if they are Autumn type they will probably do alright but for winter types they are probably a little late,old soot is high in Nitrogen but should not be put on directly on any crop always mix with soil. Barbeque charcoal has little or no nutrient value but alright as a soil conditioner.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
breezyacre
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to plant out my leeks after arran pilot and british queens. Am hoping for the best. Have leeks , planted since march, in 12'' tall pots. Some have got a little yellow due to overcrowding I think but I am hopeful that they can recover with tlc in the soil
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We decided to try to stagger our Leeks this year and so far it seems to be working.One row is quite big and has been earthed up twice, two other rows are at different stages, some still quite small..pencil size.I was looking for the thread 'cost savings of growing your own' but cannot find it! I went to our local supermarket this evening for one leek, I needed it for a courgette soup recipe. I was charged the mind boggling sum of 2.70e for one!! I queried the price and was told they were 4.70 a kilo, so... anyone out there with leeks , look after them, they could be priceless soon. Shocked Shocked Shocked
breezyacre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Just wondering at what stage you earthed up the leeks. Mine are down now since early July and are about 30 cm in height but are still quite thin. They look very healthy. Should I begin to earth up do you think to blanch them? Wink
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure when to earth them up timewise, but ours were earthed up as soon as any white stalk appeared over ground.You dont say if you have put them into their final growing bed or if they are still in a seed bed?Ours were transplanted when about 30cms high.I dug a deep hole with a spade handle, and dropped the leek into it, just allowing about 6cms over ground.The hole was then filled up with water and they have been growing OK since.The point off earthing them up is to get as much white stalk as possible
breezyacre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I planted them out just as you have described in early July.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeks need not be earthed up. There are early and late varieties of leeks, transplanting was don e correctly by watering them in.Early varieties are normally long and thin while late overwintering types are broader but shorter. You must sow leeks seed early , end of march early April. Keep them growing all the time and transplant as soon as possible. Winter leeks need to be planted in early April.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Leeks from bulbs? Reply with quote

I've been keeping a small pot of leek plants that I germinated from seed about 5 years ago. I initialy didn't have time to plant them out, so I shoved a few in the pot to seed next year. The next year, however, I discovered that they now had lovely little white bulbs on the bottom, rather than thick leek-like stems, and have flowered faithfully in the same pot each year, looking quite decorative. In early September I decided they'd done their stint in the little pot, since they'd shrivled and died down earlier than usual. I lifted them, expecting to throw them away, but the white bulbs looked perfectly fit, so I re-planted them in the vegitable patch. I was supprised to see that in a couple of weeks they had begun to sprout up shoots again. You ought to see them now! They are growing at a teriffic pace and look like normal leek plants only fatter. They show no signe of going to seed, and are really growing fast. Has anyone else had any experience of growing leeks from bulbs? I am starting to fantacise about having discovered a new way of growing giant leeks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: