Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Allotment 1 1/2 miles from Athenry, Co. Galway, interested?

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Donna
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Allotment 1 1/2 miles from Athenry, Co. Galway, interested? Reply with quote

Hi all, just wondered if anyone would be interested in an allotment in the Galway area.

We have a site about 1 1/2 miles from Athenry that we would like to turn into allotments for use in spring 2010. We will prepare the soil and provide various itmes for use, it is a nice piece of land and very good soil, we live up the road a bit and our land beside the house, is of the same quality.
We will only go ahead with this if we get enough response as it is a big site, could accomadate 20 plots comfortably.

This is a new project for me and I would be very grateful for any tips or guidance on this, my passion is gardening but I'm more for the flower side, my husband is the veggie man, so if you want to discuss this further please contact him via email at p.heagney@hotmail.com for more information, i.e sizes and cost's.

Exclamation Edited by moderator to add descriptive title.
Original title too generic....... (Hi from Athenry Galway)
see rule 11
Members should try to use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic.
This helps others find your topic, allowing you to receive replies, plus it leaves a searchable store of information for gardeners coming after you.

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Donna, welcome to the site.
I'm not sure you'll get a response about your allotments unless you put a different title to your post.
I assumed you were just saying hello, and was surprised to see you were offering new allotments. Maybe try posting again if you get no response?
Donna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Sive,

Thank you for that, can you point me in the right direction as where to post my new venture as I don't really know. I did spend some time looking around the site but maybe I missed it, I would be very grateful for any advice, I'm used to working online in my job but really new to this type of thing.

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even if you just make sure the title of your post makes it clear what you are asking. Something like "Anyone looking for allotments in Galway?"....and see if that works!
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, post moved to "Fruit, vegetable, and allotment growing in Ireland" and retitled, which will make it easier to find.
Donna, please contact me via the email address on the allotments.ie site in my signature.
I can publicize your proposed allotments there.

Also think hard about putting your email address up for all to see.
This may be abused by spammers.
You can edit your post by clicking the edit button atop your post.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
sunnymount farm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Donna, Your idea to use your land for allotments is great and I hope it works. I have plans in the future for something similar in my home village in Tyrone. I believe for allotments to work they must be supported by the locals within about a 10 mile radius, if not closer, because the user's will need to spend quite a lot of time there. They will also respect it and promote it when talking to others. So I would suggest getting feedback from within the Athenry area - drop leaflets, put up a posters nesr the site, talk to Galway council and talk to schools (its really good to get kids involved - they tell mummy & daddy who go on to tell others)
Best of luck and let me know how you are getting on with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: