Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Marrowfat Peas

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: kindredspirit
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
windy
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Marrowfat Peas Reply with quote

Hi can anyone please advise about the growing of marrofat peas , soaking , sowing time etc

thanks
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to Grow Peas in Irelands Vegetable Gardens
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1223.html
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same varieties can be grown and the major difference is that green peas are harvested while they are still sweet and soft.The sugars change to starch as they mature, best done by tasting, the pod will appear wrinkled and the pod opens easier. They are normally dried in the open air still in pods and when dried the pods split open. continue drying but never allow them to become wet again or they will turn mouldy and black. Dried pea seed are normally sown in early April and staked in small areas but not in big areas. Soak the seed in water before sowing to hasten germination, two types smooth skinned and wrinkled. My experience is gained from servicing commercial pea growers over forty years ago.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
keano97
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Marrow fat Peas Reply with quote

The pea will be quite dry when you take them out of the packet. You should soak them in a cup of water for 12 hours - at night while you sleep. They wont germinate without this. But make sure that you dont leave it any longer than that. That is the longest they will go without air. They will literally drown if left longer. You should then plant them in a pot of compost, about 5cm deep, and put it in a zip loc, or loosely tied bag. This acts as a mini-greenhouse and the seeds will germinate much faster. You can take off the plastic bag, when they are about 1 - 2cm tall. When they get a little taller, make sure you stake them, so they can be encouraged to climb. At the moment I have a couple of plants growing and what I have done is put a bamboo cane in the middle of the pot and I have twine twirlled around it and sellotaped it to the rim of the pot. I will upload a picture for you. There is no need to feed them any fertilizer, (eg. Baby Bio) as Peas store Nitrogen from the air in their roots. After that all is needed is just general care. Good Luck anyway!!! Peas are one of the easiest plants to grow so I say you'll be fine!! Razz:
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good sound advice there keano97, you certainly know your peas
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
keano97

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael Brenock!! Smile So far anyway they are thriving. I have set up a 'wigwam' sort idea with twine for climbing and its working well!!!!Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: