Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants

Is it time to cut back my Lupins and Foxgloves?

Most Recent Posts Not Valentines day but so funny
Last post: Margo
Tomato plants in Lidl self watering pots
Last post: Digger Dan
Best wood to use for a raised bed
Last post: Blowin
Announcement: I'm Back with free tickets to Bloom 2018.
Last post: James Kilkelly

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Triffid
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Is it time to cut back my Lupins and Foxgloves? Reply with quote

Basic question but I dont know the answer. My Lupins have flowered as have my Foxgloves. This is my first year gardening and wondered if they would flower again this season or if I should cut them back? And if I was to cut back..How far?I have looked around the site for an answer and couldnt find one. Please help!!
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes cut back your flower spikes. When flowers fade, the energy of the plant then goes into making seed, so by cutting off the faded flowers, you let the plant make more flowers instead.
In the case of lupins, you may get some more smaller flower spikes when you do this. I'm not sure that you will with the foxgloves...but as foxgloves are biennials, you may want to let them set seed and then you will find lots of seedlings growing next year and flowering for you in two years' time. Therefore don't dead-head them till the seed capsules are empty, if this is what you want.
As for how far back to cut: look down each stem, well below the dead flowers....and you will come to small leaves or buds...cut just above these, and you will at least get some fresh leaves, and possibly flowers growing at these junctions.
That's how I do it anyhow....but I'm not an expert!
Triffid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am going to pop out to the garden now (in the rain) and do that. I do love the Foxgloves but I dont have the room in my bed for more so I think I may cut them now and see what happens..I may strike lucky with a second flowering and if not then the foliage still looks well. Thanks again Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: