Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants

Sweetpea in troughs with white speckles and yellow leaves.

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
f&vlady
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Sweetpea in troughs with white speckles and yellow leaves. Reply with quote

Hi, last year I planted sweetpea in troughs against trellis attached to wall, plants were purchased in garden center and looked healthy, everything seemed fine and they were climbing well when suddenly loads of white speckles started to appear on leaves, this continued all the way up the plants with leaves turning yellow, I did get flowers but plants looked sick. I thought it may have been my watering and feeding so this year I've been very careful but it's started on this new set of plants even though they're in new position, new troughs and new trellis, any ideas anyone?

Exclamation Edited by moderator to add descriptive title.
(It's happening again!) This original title is too generic and will not be found by people with a similar problem.
Members should try to use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic.
This helps others find your topic, also allowing you to receive replies.
see rule 11
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not easy to say for sure without seeing the problem, but as always with this sort of problem in containers my suspicions immediately fall on lack of water and food. Sweet peas are relatively heavy feeders and being confined to containers may well see them suffering from irratic feeding and watering, even if you do feed and water regularly. Sweet peas would do much better in the ground than a container so they have adequate root run. How big are the troughs? depth as well as width/length, how many plants per trough? A deep container with a good thick layer of manure in the bottom then compost on top would be better than a shallow (say 6" - 9") trough with only compost. John Innes type compost would be better than a peat-based as soil hold nutrients much better and longer than peat.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
f&vlady

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply, purchased some canes and going to make obelisk, going to try and prick out the plants from the trough and transplant ,keeping fingers crossed they'll survive, cleared a little area for obelisk this evening and dug it well and dressed with granular feed, do u think this will work?
f&vlady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Sweetpea update Reply with quote

Delighted to report sweetpea flourishing now that I transplanted them, look healthy and scrambling away up the obelisk.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, thanks for the update.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Container gardening in Ireland, including Annual Bedding Plants All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: