Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Do you grow herbs?

Most Recent Posts greenhouse heating help needed
Last post: TMAK
Artificial lawn
Last post: leslie Wylie
hello everyone
Last post: cravings
Free Carbons
Last post: Micks Garden

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
red robin
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Do you grow herbs? Reply with quote

Do you grow herbs and what do you use them for.
I am a beginner gardener and would like to try and be as self sufficient as possible. What are the basic herbs to try first and what can I use them for..
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi red robin. I suggest you start with chives....buy a pot in the supermarket and split it into four clumps and plant them. You'll get lovely purple flowers ( which you can put into salads! ) Snip the leaves and put them into salads....they're lovely in a potato salad.... or use them as a garnish on soups. They have a lovely mild oniony flavour. When the flowers fade and the leaves lose their freshness, just cut them all down to the ground and you'll soon have lovely fresh ones again. Dead easy!
wireworm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Don't use supermarket herbs Reply with quote

I find that they have been forced too quickly and don't do well when planted out. Your local garden centre should have a selection of herbs-rosemary and mint are easy to grow.
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of different kinds of mint so you could try several and decide which you like best. Be warned though, mint can take over a garden if left to its own devices. Most people grow it in pots either free-standing or sunk into the ground.

Oregano is a lovely low-growing plant, needs free draining soil but easy if the conditions are right. Bees and butterflies love the flowers too.

There are also loads of different kinds of thyme too. They like the same conditions as the oregano.

These are all very aromatic herbs (I'd include rosemary and sage in this category) and they're wonderful with all meats or try new potatoes roasted with garlic and rosemary.

Chives are great for salads or with eggs. They'll self-seed freely - we have them growing between the cracks in the patio! I also love garlic chives. They have a wide, flat leaf, a lighter green than the ordinary chives and a white flower. Use them anywhere you'd use chives.

One of my other favourites is fennel. This is a perennial that grows up to 2 metres high so does well towards the back of a flowerbed. The leaves are great sprinkled on fish or in salads and the seeds are delicious for winter use (they're great for heartburn too).

Don't forget parsley. I prefer the flat leaved variety for flavour but the curly one is a nice plant too. They're biennial so will flower in their second year. They can be difficult to germinate so look out for self-sown seedlings.

Most of these can be bought pretty cheaply in 3 inch pots. Most of them spread rapidly so there should be no need to buy more than one and they'll thrive if they're in the right place.
NoobGardener

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some chives, basil, cress, rosemary....all easy to grow (I think so anyway)
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easiest to grow are chives, Rosemary, Bay leaf, Lemon Balm, parsley, Dill, Fennel
Basil is hard to grow except during June July and August
Mint is easiest and most rampant of all.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
gusto66

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody mentioned sage or thyme...? These are both indispensable herbs for cooking with, but need free draining sandy soil otherwise they won't last a season.

I have crappy clayish soil - we built up a kind of rockery situation and mixed in loads of gravel and sand to the soil that's there - then planted young plants from a good herb nursery. So far so good they're thriving and it's rained non-stop all summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: