Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

please explain horticultural sand / grit

Most Recent Posts Whats the Name of this Tree
Last post: Greengage
Dip cabbages in Jeyes fluid before planting
Last post: James Kilkelly, was GPI.
Irish apple trees for planting soon suggestions please
Last post: Sneachta
...What did you do Today...
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
michelle M
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: please explain horticultural sand / grit Reply with quote

I've been reading posts about adding sand or grit to the soil to improve drainage, Can someone please explain what exactly this is?
I've asked my hubbie about the sand, he said there is builders sand(course) and plastering sand(fine) & he dosen't know of any other.
My understanding of grit is a kind of gravel/small stones Embarassed

I want to prepare a border in clay soil, it has been drained, but I want to give the plants best chance possible
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other sand is sea sand which was used over a century ago because of it's high lime(neutralising content or value) Builders sand has no neutralising value.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
James Kilkelly, was GPI.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: please explain horticultural sand / grit Reply with quote

michelle M wrote:
I've been reading posts about adding sand or grit to the soil to improve drainage, Can someone please explain what exactly this is?
I've asked my hubbie about the sand, he said there is builders sand(course) and plastering sand(fine) & he dosen't know of any other.
My understanding of grit is a kind of gravel/small stones Embarassed

I want to prepare a border in clay soil, it has been drained, but I want to give the plants best chance possible

Horticultural Sharp Sand is usually a lime-free, washed quartzite sharp sand.
Size approx 3mm down
Used for seed and cutting composts, top dressing lawns, and laying paving slabs.

Horticultural Grit or Grit Sand is usually a lime-free washed quartzite grit sand. Size approx 5mm down.
Used for improving heavy soils, and potting compost, cacti and succulents, alpine and rock plants.

This is the one you want.
You will get it in all well stocked garden centres.
Are you creating a large border michelle M?

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
michelle M

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the grit is more suited to my purpose? I want to do a mixed border along the inside of a boundery hedge - it's about 100 feet long. I haven't decided on the width of it yet. I'll probably have to do it in stages though. At the moment I'm trying to narrow down my list of plants for the back of the border. Easier said than done. Every time I narrow it down, I find more plants that I like.

Anyway back to my question, Is this grit expensive? How much of it do I use? As I said the ground has been drained. It is lawn at the moment. Its never waterlogged but is a bit squelchy to walk during the winter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: