Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

Common tree/shrub needs identification

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
cuchulain
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Common tree/shrub needs identification Reply with quote

Its flowering lovely this year and I wouldnt mind trying to get seeds from it to grow some saplings.

Its quite common so Im quite embarrassed that I dont know its name
Embarassed

[/img]
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one......... Native Irish Elder / Elderberry... Sambucus nigra .. An Trom
Never be afraid to ask cuchulain ...................what you learn will allow you answer a question for another.
A kind of pay it forward. Wink

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
cuchulain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers thanks man.

When the berries appear in August could I pot some to get some saplings next year?

Thanks again.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: cordial invite Reply with quote

The berries will do well, if there are any left over after the birds and wine makers have got their fill.........

You can enjoy the trees flowers now though....

Make some summer cordial....You can vary the recipe to suit....

Elderflower cordial is a delicious summer tonic that you can make yourself. It goes down really well with children and adults alike.

This recipe is best made with fresh flowers, which have been picked on a sunny day when they are still creamy in colour and before they fade to white. At this time they have the highest amount of pollen, which contains the yeast.

4.5 litres (1 gallon) of water
1.8kg (4lb) cane sugar
Juice and thinly peeled rind of 6 unwaxed lemons
70 grams of citric acid (2.5 ounces)
40 elderflower heads. Shake them well to remove live insects and only wash if picked beside a road.

(The ingredients are very open to interpretation, you might like to use less lemons or use 30ml (2 tblsp) of cider or wine vinegar in place of the citric acid) There is also a recipe for elderflower champagne which only uses 2 flower heads.

Method:
Bring the water to the boil and pour into a sterilised container. Add the sugar, stirring until dissolved. When cool add the lemon rind and juice, also the citric acid (or vinegar) and elderflowers. Cover with several layers of muslin and leave for 24 hours. Stir 3 times a day for 5 days. Filter through muslin into strong glass bottles. The drink is ready after two weeks. Serve chilled, diluted with still or carbonated water to taste. It is best used within three months but it has been known to last up to two years.

For an extra special treat at dinnertime, why not dip the fresh flower heads in batter and deep fry. Boiling up the flowers like you would any herbal tea will be a great ease to hay fever sufferers too.....

Cheers

Ian

elderflower.JPG
 Description:
Elderflower cordial....yummie
 Filesize:  24.16 KB
 Viewed:  6647 Time(s)

elderflower.JPG

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elderflower cordial has to be one of the most wonderful drinks imaginable. And I don't need lots of people telling me wine is better....I don't much like the taste of alcohol, which in Ireland seems to be akin to telling people you have a nasty contagious disease!
walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: making elder drink a la mode Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe and the method Ian. A couple of questions for clarification. (I've made wine in the past.) Do those bottles need corking or plugging? Is there an ideal temperature for the fortnight's storage. It's mighty warm here in Essex right now. Is there a fermentation involved or is it just a cordial? Confused
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: cool and dark Reply with quote

The mixture doesn't ferment (or shouldn't) there was one year when a bottle got so pressurised it opened like a bottle of champagne.

It just needs keeping at room temperature over the fortnight, we put it in a cool dark place, which seems to work for us.

The bottles can be just the normal screw top ones as they are not under pressure, unlike me who needs to get out and mow the grass.........that's the sort of pressure I like......

cheers

Ian

medieval knievel
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can make elderflower champagne, which does ferment:

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe_p_1.html
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might give the champagne a go. Thanks for recipe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: