Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

fuchsia- when is best to clip/prune back

Most Recent Posts Sticky: How can we improve the Irish gardeners forum?
Last post: tagwex
Looking for plant ID
BBQ
Last post: Sue Deacon
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
mistymelody
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: fuchsia- when is best to clip/prune back Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Hi everyone, i moved into a brand new house about 3 years ago and fell in love with my blank canvas garden, Had great plans for it, not at all green fingered till moving into my new home. I started by painstakingly laying a patio stlye suface with slabs, leaving what i thought was enough space for a few pretty shrubs, between patio and rear wall. I purchased my favourite flowering beauty, 2 2ft tall fuchsia's and a couple of other hardy shrubs, Amazingly they flourished and are fantastic visually, but now reach up to over 5 foot, and have started spreading over the patio, i really want to clip them back, as much for their sake as the patio's and the hidden others ( 2 days ago i noticed one of the lower mature branches had broken off due to its own weight) but i dont know when is the best time of the year to do so, or what the correct procedure for pruning back is as i've never done it before, any much appreciated tips?? Laughing
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuchsia
"Growing tips

Hardy fuchsias: Plant them in spring, with the roots slightly deeper than if they were in a container, to offer extra protection during winter. In colder areas of the country, place them at the foot of a sunny, sheltered wall in well-drained soil, and provide winter protection.

Prune hard in spring, leaving just 15cm to 30cm (6in to 12in) of stem, from which new growth will shoot. Plants grown as hedges should be less severely pruned, although a portion of the old frosted wood should always be removed. Only prune when new breaking buds are visible.

Container plants: The majority of fuchsias are tender and therefore prone to frost damage. However, they can be grown easily outside from June to early autumn, before being brought into a frost-free greenhouse over winter. Grow new young plants in John Innes No2, and pinch out the young shoots regularly to encourage bushiness. These can be used as cuttings.

Stop pinching out after late spring or you'll postpone flowering. Begin feeding the plants six weeks after you've re-potted them. Either use an all-purpose feed or high-nitrogen fertiliser in spring, to encourage leafy growth, followed by a high-potash feed once buds appear. Promptly remove fading flowers throughout the summer.

In early September, reduce watering to let the older wood mature. By the end of the month, the plants should be kept almost dry. Stand them in the greenhouse and remove any remaining leaves. Then stop watering. And don't prune until the spring, when new shoots will begin to grow from the base and all the older wood can be removed. Re-pot immediately. ."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plantprofile_fuchsia.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: