Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Cherry and strawberry problems

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Yorky
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Cherry and strawberry problems Reply with quote

First of all, the strawberry fruits seem few and far between. I changed the compost in March this year, water them when its dry and and give them an occasional fee with tomato feed but still the yield is poor.

The cherry tree flowered for the first time this year so was looking forward to some fruit but noticed recently that the leaves are curling and on close inspection they are infested with copious numbers of black mites or flies.

Photos of both at http://photobucket.com/growing_fruit

Has anyone any suggestions on these problems?
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherry has black cherry aphid, can do a lot of damage if not controlled either by spraying with a strong jet of water from hose or with a sprayer using wash-up liquid at frequent intervals, the strawberries may be getting too much nitrogen that produces too much foliage. The plants need Phosphates and Potassium to encourage fruit bud production> if they are young plants they may have missed out on fruit bud formation at the time of transplanting, by the root disturbance, so grow them on and next year you may have an abundance of flower buds and then fruit.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Yorky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for yoyr reply, Mr Brenock. The plants are in their second season. I changed the compost this year as I was told it would be 'spent' ; do you mean I should leave the compost and plants in-situ to avoid disturbing the roots?

I've been feeding weekly initially with 'castings tea' from the wormery and subsequently with tomato feed .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: