Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Planting rhodos and azaleas

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Planting rhodos and azaleas Reply with quote

I've been told not to dig up the wild rhodos as they spread and are hard to contain. We're looking down to the sea on an incline and I don't want to block the view at all. Do people find that the cultivars from nurseries are a better bet for blooming power? Which azaleas do you recommend? Thanks.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cultivars from garden centres have different characteristics to the wild rhodo eg colour, time of flowering, growth habit height length of flowering season susceptibility to disease drought and pests. the wild one blends in naturally into the landscape while the cultivated forms are far better around a house and lawn. it is all a matter of scale and colour variety.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
ormondsview

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought rhodos and azeleas were hardy, given their leathery leaves and the ideal humid conditions of the gulf stream off of Kenmare Bay. I do have to consider that there is a prevailing wind which carries salt spray, that we live on a hill open to wind. Would you have a list of your favourite varieties given these impediments? Glad to hear what they would be.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been in kenmare bay over the weekend I was impressed at the rhododendrons and azaleas there. my soil would not grow a rhodo as it is too high in lime, i have no favourite list sorry but i am sure there are many who will be able to help you. The salt spray should not be a problem but the elevation above sea level might. Mike coffey in grenville motors should be able to help out!!!!
Michael brenock horticultural advisor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: