Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

what to spray for Blight

Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: what to spray for Blight Reply with quote

I was looking for Blight spray dithane 945 or similar product.
I was told that it was withdrawn for the market and many other blight sprays were too.
The only one I found was Unichems "Liquis Copper Fungicide"
active ingredient seems to be Cupric Ammonium Carbonate
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper based sprays were used in the past, gave good protection but had a short leaf life, better than no spray. grow blight resistant varieties or more correctly varieties that are more resistant. Give as much ventilation as possible to allow wind to dry foliage and avoid rise of temperatures.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was Dithane withdrawn? It's on the shelves of most places around here.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Belfast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16/02/2009 04:31 PM
In reply to
* James1664
"Neither Murphys Traditional Copper or Dithane 945 have been withdrawn. They were mentioned in an impact assessment as to the potential effects of the recent new pesticide legislation that was published in a recent edition of the HTA news. That may be what you are thinking of.

Murphys Traditional Copper Fungicide has a retail product approval until 31-12-2013.

PBI Dithane 945, MAPP number 0718 does expire on 28th February 2009 but the product is replaced by Dithane MAPP no 12708 which is approved until 31-12-2013.

Neither product is currently being withdrawn. Dithane in particular is under threat from the EU legislation but as things stand it is most likely to see out the current period until 2013."
http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/t/20488.aspx
jimmy mac
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks where can i check for blight warnings.I have spuds sown and i am not sure when to spray.I hear it does be on the weather forecast but i miss it more often than not.Thanks jimmy mac
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my answer on the homepage rgds jimmy mac
Liparis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belfast wrote:

Dithane in particular is under threat from the EU legislation

EU regulaters need to slow down a bit, they appear to me to be having a chat over a beer and a fag and once the brandy is down the hatch they turn their chat into regulation! Their latest regulation is to decrease the the sq meterage per barn hen. The limit has been raised from 17 birds per sq m to 21. Not a lot you may initially think, but that equates to a space the size of an A4 sheet of paper per bird which is actually less space given to a battery hen. A hen barn containing 50,000 birds can now legally keep 61,500 birds in that same shed.
Aparantly the losses they are suffering due to people opting for free-range chicken for dinner is making them expensive, so they've decided to increase the numbers to bring the price down. I'm baffled! Wouldn't it make more econimic sense to produce what people want?
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
timknockalla
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bordeaux mixture works. Otherwise grow sarpo mira or sarpo axona which are both pretty blight resisatant.
Blowin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only two of us and I don't devote much space to spuds - just three rows of 25ft or so.

I don't like the idea of sprays because of what they can do to insects and worms, and therefore birds etc. so this year I bought a suitable length of broad fleece and, as soon as the alarm bells started to ring in the allotments section, I covered my lot with it, weighed it down all round with bits of timber and left it there until I began digging my earlies. They cropped reasonably well so I decided not to remove the fleece from the main crop (Desirees).

The foliage had died right back by some weeks ago so I took it off and yesterday I dug what was left of the crop. The yield doesn't seem to have been affected although I do have slug damage in places. However, if like me you don't grow acres of spuds, this might be an option? My fleece is still in perfect condition and stowed away for next year. How long it'll last I obviously don't know but it satisfies my needs.

Just a note on Dithane. When at our recycling site early this year, I found a chap standing by the plastic bins collecting containers from people as they came along. He'd found that the spray had been discontinued in small quantities but was still available in farm size sacks so he had bought a sack or two and was decanting the Dithane into smaller packages - no doubt with a few bob in mind. I was getting rid of a stack of lidded yoghurt containers and I think I was his best mate that day.

Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What your freind was at is illigal maybe you should bring this to his attention.
http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Safety_and_Health_Management/Section%207%20Chemicals.pdf
Blowin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't call this area the 'Rebel' area for nothing but, seriously, I'd never seen the chap before nor since and don't know his name so he must do what he must do, I'm afraid.

I'll stick to my fleece system.

Greengage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmy mac wrote:
Folks where can i check for blight warnings.I have spuds sown and i am not sure when to spray.I hear it does be on the weather forecast but i miss it more often than not.Thanks jimmy mac

you should check in here regularly because people are always trying to be first with the bad news,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: