Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Informal Hedge

Most Recent Posts Is this a Verbascum
Last post: Margo
Rose disease
Last post: Sue Deacon
Compost question
Last post: Keeks
Announcement: Free Bloom 2017 tickets for three lucky members.
Last post: James Kilkelly

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Macy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Informal Hedge Reply with quote

I'm looking at planting an informal hedge to divide the garden, and also act as another layer of security. Was thinking of a mix of Berberis Darwinni and Pyracantha - prickly, evergreen, flowering and berries (which I assume the birds will eat?)

I would also be looking to mix in a few decidous shrubs such as forsythia, dogwoods, rose's to provide a bit more interest.

I would be planning on pruning, rather than clipping - treating it more like a closely planted shrub border than a formal clipped hedge if that makes sense?

So my main questions would be over the hardiness of the two main plants I was thinking off? The berberis would be common enough, so I'd say it'll take the frost, but worried about how much exposure it'd take? I was planning on wind protection netting on the west side which should provide some protection from the westerlies. But really not sure on the Pyracantha. I'm at just under 800ft up on quite an exposed site?

The other thing would be over the best place to get the plants, as it'll be up on 50 odd plants (although this could be answered on the other thread).

Any help gratefully recieved, as would be other plant suggestions if necessary. I already have native hedging planted, so really want something more attractive yet still functional within the garden. TVM
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Hedge Varieties Reply with quote

Have a look at this sticky while you are at it Macy http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204
Macy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, probably should've checked them first alright Embarassed
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyracantha is the best plant for security as the thorns are lethal , however it is usually grown along a wall as it needs support , this might be awkward in the middle of a garden ,
For variety consider different types of Berberis , eg Darwinii , Thunbergii , Stenophylla . Mahonia is also very thorny . Rosa Rugosa for colour ,
Cool Bugs

birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macy you should definatly include the wild roses in your hedge mix. They will give you colour, scent, berry and thorn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: