Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc.

Can I get battery hens to rehome

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
John H
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Can I get battery hens to rehome Reply with quote

Is it possible to get battery hens to rehome in Ireland ?

I was on a site from the uk that do it but I dont think they cover Ireland.

It would be nice to be able to give these old hen a shot at some real living Very Happy

If I cant get old battery hens where is the best place to get ready to lay hens in the Kilkenny area?

Hope someone can help me out.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These hens i have been told are damaged psychologically and need to be treated carefully and they should never be taken alone, always in pairs. they are very suceptible to colds and chills having been reared in a rarified atmosphere and pumped full of antibiotics. it is a nice thought just like the donkey's home.
best of luck to you at least plants do not suffer from forcing or transplanting.
michael brenock
John H

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would these hens be safe with children or would they be inclined to be a bit aggressive. I have young children that I would be encouraging to help with the hens so I would hope to get quite ones.
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crann Dair Chicken Rescue -
Rehoming Ex Battery Hens
Success Stories and Photos of Hens we have Rehomed and Photos of our very First Rescue Chickens!

http://www.fizzywitch.com/CrannDair/rehomed.html

http://www.fizzywitch.com/CrannDair/adoption.html

Home for Farm & Battery Hens in Ireland
http://www.fizzywitch.com/CrannDair/index.html
John H

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Belfast.

That seems to be a good ending for those hens Smile , but do you know if they are prone to diseases more so than any other hens.

I hope to look into it next week.
Belfast

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock is correct they are more susceptible to disease and have been feed antibiotics as part of their feed and been kept in temperature controlled environment all their lives.

This is where they live.

I think michael brenock is right the idea is to provide a retirement home to hens that are past their best..
The idea is be nice to hens who have had a horrible life.

if you want hens to produce eggs these guys are a better choice.
these are produce for people who keep hens at home and are in better condition and more suitable for the home producer.
In short these are not old hens looking for a retirement home.
http://tippychicks.com/gpage2.html

Pure breed - Light Sussex

Pure breed - lavender araucanas

Pure breed - French marans 2 photos

Brown hybrid egg-layers

another irish supplier with even more breeds
http://www.midlandpoultry.com/breeds2009.htm

Rhode Island Reds

Welsomer

Marans

Black Minorcas

Buff Sussex

White Leghorn

http://www.midlandpoultry.com/housing.htm

lots more here
Breeders Directory
http://www.poultry.ie/breeders-list.php
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get eggs from the ex-battery-hens, but just take your time with them. They should be quite quiet as they are used to close proximity of humans and handling. Due to the amount of antibiotics etc they have been given, they would do better in a large run initially until their immune systems get back to what it should be like, then allowed to roam free range, if that's your wish.
They may go off-lay for a couple of months when you get them but should start laying again.
Afterwards, treat them as other hens by worming and mite prevention. You will probably find the eggs are larger than you will get in the shops as well once they have moved back into full-lay. They can be great for double yokers.
Give battery hens a chance in life, treat them with respect and you won't be sorry.
The main psychological problem is feather plucking, it can be stressful for the bird on the receiving end of this habit, identify the bird responsible and the vet can snip his beak in the appropriate place to stop this. It does no harm to the bird and doesn't prevent her eating etc, just makes it difficult to get a hold of the feather, they usually stop once they go free range though, although sometimes one can persist. Please don't get a "I-can-do-that-for-you" person to do it, if it goes wrong, you can end up with another stressed hen.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Belfast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-battery hen - sudden death (ish)
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=29116.0

edit
A Warm Welcome to The Poultry Pages
http://www.poultry.allotment.org.uk/index.php

Last edited by Belfast on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liparis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as one poster says, it happens even to pure bred hens. I gave up keeping my rare black Sumatrans for that reason. I would just find one lying dead in the mornings.
Bill.

SecretGarden
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Battery Hens!!! Reply with quote

What would happen to hatcheries if there was nobody to buy their USED hens?

Feeling sorry for these hens and giving them good homes is enabling the hatcheries to continue - profitably, imo. I believe there is a natural consequence to everything and my actions can either enable or disable in a very small way - but it is the Power of One.

If I were buying hens I'd want to buy from a local chicken keeper who breeds good quality healthy birds in a natural environment.

I recently found a hobby poultry breeder near Kilkenny - they breed free range purebred chickens and their birds are healthy and living out of doors.

Last edited by SecretGarden on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
verge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Moderator edit:

As above.
New posters whose initial posts contain direct links to other websites may have those links removed at the moderators discretion. Other members interested in the links may PM the poster to be enlightened as to the link.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Last edited by verge on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Liparis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Battery Hens!!! Reply with quote

SecretGarden wrote:
What would happen to hatcheries if there was nobody to buy their USED hens?

...Feeling sorry for these hens and giving them good homes is enabling the hatcheries to continue - profitably, imo.

...I recently found a hobby poultry breeder near Kilkenny - they breed free range purebred chickens and their birds are healthy and living out of doors.

I would doubt that buying or not buying those hens would have any effect on the hatcheries nor the egg producers. If people don't buy them then they will be sold to meat processors where the meat is stripped from their bodies in one of the most awfully degrading manners, it then ends up in canned foods such as chicken pie filling, chicken soup, animal feed meal and burgers to name but a few. Someone buying a few battery or barn hens or not, won't affect their profit, it just probably won't go through the books and will become the sellers beer money for a pint or two. Buying them would, however give those hens a few years longer to live in a much more humane and caring manner. Because they are no longer suitable for top egg laying use, they are then destined to further degradation.
The thing that is going to affect these peoples profits is not whether you rescue their hens, but whether you buy battery or barn eggs or free-range, and don't let the term barn make you think that these hens are in any way better off than battery hens. It became a great term in the late 70's making everyone think they were being farmed healthier, both physically and mentally, but in most cases are actually worse off.
I do of course agree with you that buying hens from established breeders for this purpose would be a better way to go, but lets not pretend that they are all raising their stock in the best manner, some of them should be jailed for their practices. They, like the egg producers, are doing it to make money, some of them don't give a damn about hen husbandry.
If your going for hens to produce eggs for your own needs and a few extra to sell at the gate to help cover costs of feed etc, then buy good quality young pullets from a reputable breeder, however, if you just want hens to produce a few eggs for your own table, then why not buy a couple of ex-battery hens?
Bill.

SecretGarden

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you with regard to the buying of meat & eggs produced in a factory-like setting and with the conditions some small breeders provide for their livestock.

Each of us who buys products which are produced inhumanely has a responsibility in enabling this practice to continue.

The reason battery hens are re-sold is because it's the most profitable option. Battery hens come from large egg producers, these birds are bred to produce the highest number of eggs possible and eat the least amount of food, and this does not allow for any significant amount of muscle production, they are egg laying machines. The cost of recovering meat from these birds would be prohibitive. There are legal restrictions on the disposal of offal - another cost for the processor of battery hens. Food processors want to maintain their profit margins too.

Battery hens are sold by the hatcheries for €1:00 each in the beginning of each year to people who will resell for €5:00 - €6:00, to others who think they are doing these hens a favour.

Yes, they are going to give these birds a good life, but they are also giving the middle man money to put in his back pocket and his action in turn will help maintain the margins of the hatcheries at an acceptable level. They are helping to perpetuate this practice of egg production.

It's an easy option to give responsibility for change to others but it is more effective to initiate change through own action. No individual act will cause radical reform but change is possible through collective action, it's the responsibility of each of us to critically assess our beliefs and act appropriately. The synergy of every little change can make a difference.

I'm not a campaigner for anyone or anything; I'm expressing my opinions and acting on them myself. It's up to each individual to choose their own action having made their own informed choices.
Liparis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may be talking at cross purposes then. You seem to be discussing buying straight from the hatchery, I think myself and possibly others, as per the title of the thread are discussing rescuing ex-battery hens, a totally different thing.
These hens do in fact provide a very cost effective meat for burgers, soups, pies, etc. They are purchased, the feathers stripped off barbarically, the birds are then put in a centrifuge and the meat stripped from the bone. Very little man power and very cost effective. There is very little offal from chickens, the kidney, liver, lungs and heart all go towards production of dog meal etc, livers go for paté, All that's left is stomach, intestines and gizzard, head and legs. These all grind down along with the bones into various other products, often meal for pigs etc. Again, extremely little manpower is involved, manpower is the most costly part of any production.
I myself am not a campaigner, but neither do I like seeing any animal put through what it has to go through to provide for man.
The real way to stop any bad practice is not to ignore it but get to the cause, just like with humans, there is no point treating symptoms, you have to treat the illness. That would be, in the case of hens, not buying battery or barn eggs, not buying barn chickens for meat. If you do that, you attack the cause and the symptons go. I really don't think anyone rescues battery hens to have any affect on the industry, because it won't, it's done with compassion in mind.
As I said, I'm not a campaigner. I'm expressing my opinion as well. I also think that anyone who turns their back on what goes on in this industry and says, well, I'm not responsible, I don't buy such processed meats or buy barn or battery eggs, is guilty of allowing that practice to continue.
I never used to like Hugh Fernley-Whitinstall or what ever his name is, he that did the River Cottage series etc. Over the last couple of years he has earned my respect to the highest degree. Why? Because he didn't just say he wouldn't use those types of products anymore, he got off his butt and did something about what he believed in. Some may call him a campaigner, he may be, but unfortunately the term campaigner is too often used these days in the wrong context, I would call him a man that does'nt talk the talk, but he damn well walks the walk. He, through his own thoughts, beliefs and ideas stopped all the multi-nationals in the UK selling these products, except for Tesco and great Shame on them. In my opinion, anyone who shops in supermakets who don't at least give the consumer a choice, is guilty of propagating those bad practices and thinking that it's OK because they don't buy their bad practice poultry range is actually burying their heads in the sand.
The cause of this problem is not the chicken producers, nor is it the middleman earning an income, nor is it battery egg and barn egg producers, they are all symptoms, the illness is the multi-national supermarkets selling people what they want them to buy. Those same people who keep track of ever single item you purchase through so called "Loyalty Cards". I, by the way, would make those intrussions into our private lives, illegal and jail supermaket managers for using them. But, that's going off-thread Embarassed
Anyway, these are my opinions.
Bill.

sal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how do you get ex battery hens here? i have googled and comy up with just one place,www.fizzywitch .com. this is too far from me as it is in galway,i have chickens just bought and would have liked to add 2 ex battery to my flock,is there any where in munster?i also have tried to google egg producers in munster to see if i can contact them direct,can you help? i have read the wrongs and rights of getting x b hens and still want to get them, my chicks will produce enough eggs for our family and they will be pets too,we can already pick them up and cuddle them and 2 are already laying,the kids and grandkids adore them,my friend in uk had 5 x b hens and 1 cockeral who had 1 eye,they started off bald and wobbly one their feet,by the time the summer was over they layed eggs and were running round her allotment happily,no probs. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: