Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News.

Any ideas for a new empty bed??

Most Recent Posts My intro
Last post: Greengage
Hi all
Hello and help needed on watering
Christmas reading.

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Sunflower
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Any ideas for a new empty bed?? Reply with quote

Hi All,

So my weeks of pulling rocks and replacing them with manure and compost are almost at an end (until we tackle the lawn but thats another day). I have dug a new garden bed in the corner of the front garden, it is south facing with full sun for most of the day - from about 11am to at least 4pm. It's about 9ft long and 5ft deep. So now it's time to plant!!

I'd like a dense shrub or a small tree for the corner, one that will grow to about 7ft high to hide the wall behind it, I would prefer an evergreen for some detail through winter. For the other space, I'm thinking a shrub or two to fill it up. I quite like hydrangeas, especially the white kind, but maybe there is something else I don't know about. One thing is maintenance. The plan is that this house will be rented out in a few years (and I'll get a bigger garden), so really we need shrubs with minimal pruning, at least after the first few years.

I'm totally open to any suggestions any of you have and I appreciate it's June, perhaps I've missed the best planting time for most plants?? BTW, again my first year moving beyond potted plants, in the garden centres so many things, like hydrangeas, are all in bloom - is it def ok to plant something in bloom and am I better off with a larger or smaller one??

Thanks all for your help.....

Sunflower
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could me a deal with the tenants and allow them to do so fruit and veg in return for keeping the place tidy.
This could be a selling point as many rented properties do not have a place to grow fruit and veg.
This is what I do with my land lord for the last 7 years.
Sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Belfast,

The veg garden is already earmarked...we grew some the year before last though not this year as we were away and really its only now we're getting into the garden. We'll be moving it from where it originally was to the other side of the garden, but come this time next year there will be a fab veg plot (hopefully), and any future tenants would be welcome to continue it. In fact, I might put it in the clause! But they better keep my front plot in order too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Landscaping / Gardening Ireland, Overall discussion & Garden related News. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: