Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Rotavate then weed??

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Bobo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Rotavate then weed?? Reply with quote

Hi all,

New to the site, been reading through all your posts and it's a long process for a lawn. I followed you guys instruction as far as Putting round up on the weeds, planned on ratavationg then seed, but one thing led to another and didn't get a chance. I did this 3 times now and the weeds are back again not as bad.

Was just wondering can i rotavate with a industrial rotavator, rake out the weeds and other debry, then seed, then when i have it cut a few times, use feed and weed to get rid of any extra weeds, because i have a spare weekend this weekend and don't want to start all the top process again and wait.

What you guys think? It just a lawn i need for the kids to play on, i have Bought rye grss seed from B&Q last year so need to use it soon.

Thanks and sorry for the long ?

Gareth

Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on the kind of weeds you have some weeds are spread by rotavating.

Rotovating will spread
perennial weeds if you don't kill or dig them out first.

Japanese Knotweed
Couchgrass
Ground-elder
possibly nettles
etc

Weed Removal
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/weedremoval.htm
Bobo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See there's the problem, i have about 6 different type of weeds, loads of nettles well there was just some of the stubborn ones left. I bought the house the back was in a heap as i said, seriously, bits of engines, rocks, wood everything. So i got a mini digger in and got rid of everything and scraped the top part off, so i think the weeds have truely spread.

I think i will just put round up on it, wait for 4 weeks, the rotavate it, level it all out mix with compost (3 for 15euro in local diy) and then seed it!! Would that be ok, i don't want a snooker table but a half decent lawn be great until the kids move out, then i can concentrate.

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: weeding seeding praying Reply with quote

Bobo,
In this particular case I agree entirely with what you plan. Rotavate the whole site let it grow for a month zap anything that's growing with weedkiller, even out the ground a bit, sow the ryegrass and pray for rain. There's a time and a place for everything and I think you have exactly the right attitude
SW

Liparis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your best plan. Make sure everyting is growing good though before using the roundup. If the weeds are cut back and fresh growth hasn't started again the roundup may fail.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Bobo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help, just finished putting the round up down, all the weeds were flowering, so i'll give it 4 weeks and rotavate again.

Any idea were i'd get good compost in north dublin before i rotavate.

Thanks again Very Happy

walltoall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: composting in the north county Reply with quote

http://www.tidytowns.ie/newsItem.php?id=75

Would this link help, Bobo?

Separately, as an oul Fingallian I can tell you Guinness' brewery used to have spent hops when I was a nipper. Also there's lots of stables in Fingal, particularly out towards Ashbourne and also Kinsealy. A bit of neck, a bit of foot-slogging and I'd feel confident.

Try googling " Fingal North County Dublin compost free " and see what comes up. Don't include the quotation marks if you cut'n'paste or you'll probably get no results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: