Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Beach Sand

Most Recent Posts New here
Last post: Margo
...What did you do Today...
Last post: Keeks
briquetter maker
Last post: tagwex
Redesigned back garden. Would like your suggestions.
Last post: Good guy

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
AG01
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Beach Sand Reply with quote

Hi,

I made a posting quite some time back - I'v now rotivated the lawn etc have toposil ordered, now just a matter of sowing it.

I have access to beach sand - would a small quantity be ok for the soil, (it's sand in dunes, rather than from the "beach" itself.

Or would this soil not be practicle due to any salt content ?
James Kilkelly, was GPI.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our site search brings up an answer to your question AG01 (I entered beach sand)..... Preparing veg garden - sand

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have read the previous posts GPI but as far as I know it is illegal to take sand from beaches and especially sand dunes, coastal errosion and plant habitats are the reasons. After spending a few days at the beach in the recent warm spell my daughter remarked that coastal errosion has more to do with children coming back covered in sand which is washed away in the bath than anything else! Laughing Laughing
AG01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would sowing grass seed be the same as growing vegetables though ????

Would the salty sand prevent growth ?? I'v some builders sand from the buiilding works going on at the front of my house - I will use that if the sand from the beach is not suitable.

Also under the theft and fraud offences act it's only illegal if you are using the said sand for some sort of financial gain.
James Kilkelly, was GPI.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that thread...... Disaster!! But hey, did you know that salt in the soil is good for growing beetroot?

You would be much better served using grit for your particular job, which was also mentioned in that thread.
Sand especially soft sand as is found on beaches will often be worse for your drainage than if you used nothing at all.

Example....
I give you two buckets with a similar amount of holes drilled in the base of both.
Half-fill one with sand and the half-fill the other with grit, say leaving about 5 litres of water space.
Fill both with the 5 litres of water.
Which do you think will drain quicker and more completely?

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
birdie
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaican police left stranded after thieves steal a beach http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/21/jamaica
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardening is so full of contradictions, no wonder some people get confused, especially when learning.
One confussion may arise if you've ever seen or heard of sea-washed turf being sold. Two places where this is harvested springs to mind; Ayrshire in Scotland and the Solway in Cumbria. The turf is grown right on the sea edge and produces a beautiful, hard-wearing turf which is excellent for areas with kiddy traffic and certain types of sports. It's usually clean and free of noxious weeds and is perfectly mown and fertilised by sheep. The first year or perhaps two, you might find a few toadstools (harmless) appearing, but after that they disappear. An example of condradiction in gardening. However, if you use your normal grass seed to sow on a bed prepared with beach sand you are heading for dissapointment, it's the wrong mix of grasses. So, be safe, heed GPI's advice, stay away from beach sand in your garden.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Bobwilliams

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG01 wrote:

Also under the theft and fraud offences act it's only illegal if you are using the said sand for some sort of financial gain.

Sorry that is utter crap. By that thinking I could steal a metre square of turf from Croke park, but as long as I make no financial gain from it I get away scot free.

Theft and Related Offences

Theft.

4.—(1) Subject to section 5 , a person is guilty of theft if he or she dishonestly appropriates property without the consent of its owner and with the intention of depriving its owner of it.

from here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/act/pub/0050/sec0004.html#partii-sec4
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organicgrowingpains wrote:
Hi, I have read the previous posts GPI but as far as I know it is illegal to take sand from beaches and especially sand dunes, coastal errosion and plant habitats are the reasons.

I'll second organicgrowingpains comment - sand dunes are one of the most fragile and vulnerable ecosystems there are. If there isn't a law against removing sand from them there bloody well ought to be. Please don't take sand from dunes Smile
JennyS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there isn't a law against removing sand from them there bloody well ought to be. Please don't take sand from dunes

I'll second that!
It causes serious habitat destruction - you don't need to be able to recognise whats growing or living there to cause irreversible damage ......

Bobwilliams

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garlicbreath wrote:
If there isn't a law against removing sand from them there bloody well ought to be.

Here is the law.

Foreshore Act, 1933
6 1933 12
[GA] Order prohibiting removal of beach material from seashore.

Quote:
6.—(1) In this Act the expression "prohibitory order" means an order made, or deemed to have been made under this section prohibiting the removal of beach material from an area of seashore.
[GA]

(2) Whenever the Minister is of opinion that the removal or the unrestricted removal of beach material of any kind or of any particular kind or kinds from any particular area of seashore has affected or is likely to affect prejudicially any public rights in respect of such area of seashore or any lands or water in the neighbourhood thereof or has caused or is likely to cause injury to any land or to any building, wall, pier, or other structure, the Minister may prohibit by order the removal by any person of beach material either (as the case may require) of any kind or of the said particular kind or kinds from the said area of seashore.
[GA]

(3) The Minister may by order at any time at his discretion, revoke or amend a prohibitory order.
[GA]

(4) Whenever the Minister has made or proposes to make, amend, or revoke a prohibitory order, the Minister may, if he thinks fit, hold a public inquiry in regard to the continuation, making, amendment, or revocation (as the case may be) of such order.
[GA]

(5) Every person who shall remove any beach material from any foreshore or seashore in contravention of a prohibitory order shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof in the case of a first offence, to a fine not exceeding ten pounds, and, in the case of a second or any subsequent offence, to a fine of ten pounds and, in every case to forfeiture of the beach material so removed.
[GA]

(6) Every order made under section 14 of the Harbours Act, 1814, and in force at the passing of this Act shall continue in force notwithstanding the repeal of that section by this Act, and every such order shall for all purposes be deemed to have been made under this section on the date on which it was actually made although such date is prior to the passing of this Act.
[GA]

(7) A prohibitory order shall not operate to prevent the granting under this Act of a licence to remove beach material from foreshore to which such order applies or to prevent the removal of beach material from such foreshore under and in accordance with a licence granted (whether before or after the making of such order) under this Act.

The fines for this are crap though.
Quote:

shall be liable on summary conviction thereof in the case of a first offence, to a fine not exceeding ten pounds, and, in the case of a second or any subsequent offence, to a fine of ten pounds and, in every case to forfeiture of the beach material so removed.

From here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1933/en/act/pub/0012/index.html

I'm sure there is something more up to date then this, euros not pounds for god sake.
Organicgrowingpains

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember some years back ,seeing notices at beaches saying much the same that it was an offence to remove beach material, but they seem to have disappeared or just fell into disrepair and were not replaced.If it has not been updated paying the fines would still be cheaper than buying bags of sand!
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And taking the person to court to fine him £10 would probanly cost the taxpayer thousands!
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: