Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Naked one acre site - no clue where to start!

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Erica
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Naked one acre site - no clue where to start! Reply with quote

Hi all
I've snooping about here for a while; this is a great site - keep up the good work!
We have just finished building our new house which is on a one acre site - hubby bought a digger-type-thing and has moved several hundred tonnes of earth; and levelled the site. (bless him!)
The house has been built where there used to be a hill - therefore the landscaping is proving difficult to plan. Hubby has created two slopes running from the front to the back where the site reaches a peak of about 20 feet; this has been broken up into two stepped garden areas. Bar sticking grass everywhere for the moment - I just can't develop a vision for the front and the two sloped areas. I'd like to know if anyone could recommend a good book/magazine - or a website. The site is very exposed to wind - there are no boundaries in place.
The views to the front are incredible so we don't want to block them.
I don't like big deep borders full of shrubs/small mean looking ones either.
Come to think of it - no pathways, drives are in place. Love patios, crazy paving, stone finishes,pebbles - hate tarmac/concrete.
Gosh - I'm not looking for much advice! Any pointers for us?
BTW - maybe we will post pics if anyone is interested.
Thanks in advance!
Erica
verge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: slopes in the garden Reply with quote

You are so lucky to have slopes Erica. Instant heights, depths and contours to add interest even before any thing is sown.
Bring on the pics....... I'm sure many IG members will have some good ideas for you.

There are some tips on posting pics here http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32
mdvaden

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you make a plan, or add as you go?

If you plan, my recommendation is to start with the big elements, and work down in size.

In other words, flowers and shrubs don't usually go in the ground first, then the tree in the remaining scraps of space.

My method is to decide where the trees go, walkways, steps, ponds (the big things) and then fit the small thing around those.

Portland Landscape & Trees
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the site and the clients requirements. But I usually start by selecting and placing the trees too.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
elphin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: 1 acre site Reply with quote

We are currently working on our 1 acre (flat) site and you are lucky to have slopes. We turned a field for silage into a garden two years ago. Its very flat, windy with farmland on 3 sides. We put in trees first, then a curving path down to the compost heap. Then planted the ditches with cuttings donated by friends and workmates and then started a perennial border at the bottom of the garden. This is a work in progress and battle with the weeds but its getting there. We put a bog oak feature near the roadway with low growing roses and the current project is a pond and a polytunnel. So a little at a time and you'll get there. Nice thing we have found is that people keep saying to us "you did it all yourselves" which we did and somehow that makes it better.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are starting on a one acre site from scratch and the way we are doing it is.....slowly! We first chose the perfect spot for the vegetable/soft fruit garden...in full sun. Then I have worked outwards from the house with herbaceous beds....you need to enjoy your flowers where you can see them from the house.....especially from the windows you usually sit near. Then place your herb beds where they are easy to reach from your kitchen, and as you do all this, you will be getting to know your soil, your sunny and shady areas, your views, your windy spots etc etc.
I get flashes of inspiration! For instance I realised that I am often working in the kitchen as the sun gets lower and I realised I had a perfect area to plant grasses in, so that the setting sun would shine through them as I looked out from the kitchen sink!!
I couldn't plan any other way....I think you need to be a very skilful designer to be able to do it all in one go.
inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: where are the pics Reply with quote

Hi Erica

Any news on the pics of the naked garden yet?

Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give due consideration to your hedging first to establish the backbone colour scheme ( mixed purple and green beech, mixed with red rose hips Rosa rugossa, and purple berberis, ), then develop 'internal hedgings' to accentuate the slopes, inwards from the edges. then schemes and additions will suggest themselves......
blank canvas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this with interest!

The tips so far have been a great starting point for us.

BC

verge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit to pick up from this alright blank canvas. I wonder how Erica got on with his/her garden? Rolling Eyes

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: