Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Access to water in Allotments

Most Recent Posts Is this Spiraea japonica
Last post: Greengage
Beech Head leaf browning issue
Small lawn advice please
Whats this.
Last post: Silver surfer

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Luna
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Access to water in Allotments Reply with quote

Hello,
Can anyone help us, we do not have access to water in our allotment area. Would anyone be willing to let us know how you manage to water your young plants during very dry spells.
Thanks
MrDamon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of ideas spring to mind..

If like myself you dont trust the tapwater for drinking, you collect a lot of empty 2 litre and 5 litre bottles from store bought drinking water. Just fill a bunch of these from your water butt or tap. Load your bottles into the car if you have one and bring a spare bottle-cap/lid with a bunch of tiny holes punched into it so you can water your young ones gently.

Another thing to try is rally a bunch of the other allotment holders together and see if you can petition to the owner to provide a supply for you.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Organicgrowingpains
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luna, I would think that whoever is renting out the allotments should be arranging a water supply for you. It is an essential service. If you have a shed or greenhouse can you rig up a waterbutt to trap rain water. I have seen a plastic bin with the lid inverted and holes punched in it and it gathers rainwater too but with hopefully a dry summer coming in there won't be much opportunity for that.
Luna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: water for allotments Reply with quote

Thanks MrDamon and Organicgrowingpains, our allotments are owned by the council and there is new legalisation that prevents drinking water to be supplied to non residential areas. Which is understandable, only grey water is permitted; the problem is that we have no grey water supply in the area as we are in the city centre.
MrDamon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a yard or garden with your house..?

As was mentioned, a homemade waterbutt can be quite handy to make and many hardware stores will supply the required pipe attachment for re-directing the flow of rain water from the roof of your house down your drain-pipe.

A simple 50 litre bin will suffice for the storage.

A small homemade filter chamber made from fine wire mesh for the thicker stuff and any cloth material under the mesh for the thinner stuff can be fitted to the bin by either punching/drilling a few holes at the top of the bin where the water will flow into or simply hooking the filter cage to the top edge of the bin

Let us know what you decide to do.

Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Access to water in Allotments Reply with quote

Luna wrote:
Hello,
Can anyone help us, we do not have access to water in our allotment area. Would anyone be willing to let us know how you manage to water your young plants during very dry spells.
Thanks

Is that part of the contract for the allotments?

Is it a council or private allotment?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: