Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Growing potatoes for Christmas

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
loopy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Growing potatoes for Christmas Reply with quote

I see Mr Middleton has a variety that will grow between July and December. Has anyone tried this successfully? I'd love to do it, would it only work in a greenhouse or would a potato growing bag do the trick? The variety is Carlinford.

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/shop/product.php?productid=1035&cat=158&page=1
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did it last year and got a small crop in december out on my allotment. i planted in sept shoould have planted in August and also planted maincrop instead of earlies. Last year the late autumn and early winter was actually mild and surprisingly dry , for me anyway, so i'll be doing same this year and saving some earlies for august. should have an improved crop this time, it was great digging spuds on christmas eve and having them the next day, well worth a go i'd say.
loopy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Ian thats amazing, so you planted them outside? I'm torn between using the potato bags or planting directly into the ground, I'm thinking they may be more protected under soil?
michelle M
Rank attained: Rowan Tree
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great, I think I'll give it a go. Are there any particular varieties for planting that time of year? Are there any other veg that can be sown aug / sept, as my raised bed should be empty by then, I'd say. I haven't near enough space
loopy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelle M wrote:
That sounds great, I think I'll give it a go. Are there any particular varieties for planting that time of year? Are there any other veg that can be sown aug / sept, as my raised bed should be empty by then, I'd say. I haven't near enough space

I'd stick to the variety sold by Mr Midleton, less likely to go wrong LOL. There are winter cabbages plus all year round lettuce varieties that could all be sown at that time. Parsley, rosemary, and a good few other herbs will also grow all year. My chives stayed put right up to December last year. Other ones I can think of off hand would be brussel sprouts and garlic.
ian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have posted a picture of a glass cover for a raised bed under asparagus April 24 two windows hinged together and hinged to one side of the raised bed this enables to plant more and later too.
regards, Ian.
loopy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian wrote:
i have posted a picture of a glass cover for a raised bed under asparagus April 24 two windows hinged together and hinged to one side of the raised bed this enables to plant more and later too.
regards, Ian.

Ian do you have a link to that post with the pic? That would be great.
ian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i don't have the skills to get a link, check back to April 24 on the list of topics under asparagus
Regards, ian.
loopy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian ..found it..they look great, very professional!
breezyacre
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting about the Carlingford spuds. I am going to try aquadulce broad beans and garlic in Oct./ Nov. for the first time. I have been told that this is the most suitable time for garlic particularly. Anyone any experience of growing garlic successfully over the winter?
sevenstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew garlic over winter a few years ago with great success. I believe they need a good frost to grow well (?) This year got a slow start due to moving and the garlic I've sown is not nearly as big as the last time. Happy growing. Very Happy
windy
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Growing potatoes for Christmas Reply with quote

loopy wrote:
I see Mr Middleton has a variety that will grow between July and December. Has anyone tried this successfully? I'd love to do it, would it only work in a greenhouse or would a potato growing bag do the trick? The variety is Carlinford.

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/shop/product.php?productid=1035&cat=158&page=1

great idea but no longer in stock so does anyone know were else they may be coursed Thanks
blownin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manage to find any ? i'd like to plant some shortly, or will shop bought spuds that go to seed this time of year develop if planted.
loopy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking for some...I've emailed mr middleton to see when they might have them back in stock.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potatoes for Christmas?
There are specially prepared cold-store seed potatoes for winter growing available from mail order seed merchants across the water in the UK, but unfortunately these are not usually available for delivery into Ireland.
Although this may have changed, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Late cropping Varieties such 'Carlingford', 'Charlotte', 'Maris Peer' and 'Nicola', if available would allow you the best chance of success, due to them being cold treated. This breaks the spuds dormancy and spurs them into growth.

However you will get away with using some of the smaller potatoes from your most recent crop or even small potatoes from a local farmer or fruit & veg shop. By using your own homegrown seed potatoes or those from an organic grower, you can ensure they will not be treated with any chemical to prevent budding. The variety "Orla" is to be recommended if you can track some down, as it is an early growing variety with good disease resistance.

If you are looking for seed potatoes you may be able to source some here....Seed potatoes

You can carry out your own cold treatment on your seed potatoes by putting them in a paper bag, then popping them in the fridge (not freezer) for a week. Save your old egg boxes, rip the tops off, and plonk your potatoes into them right side up on a bright windowsill for about another week before begin sowing.

More here in my article on how to plant spuds for Christmas........ How to grow new potatoes for Christmas.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!

Last edited by James Kilkelly on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: