Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners

Hallo, new member with lots of digging to do!

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Coillte
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Hallo, new member with lots of digging to do! Reply with quote

Hi there,

I joined this site recently as the garden is in a bad way. I like the concept of gardening but never seem to get around to it on a regular enough basis to make a difference. So I have to keep re-doing bits I did a couple of months ago...naturally enough Wink

Anyho, I thought if I joined a site, I might be better motivated and I could ask a few of you experts some important questions Smile

Like, when you dig up old clay with grass roots and stones in it, what do you do with it... do you put it in your brown bin (kitchen and grass clippings etc) or do you put it in your black bin as rubbish? Or where? Am stumped before I start but at least the sun is shining today.

If anyone can tell me, I'd be very grateful Smile

Hope to talk you all soon, Coillte
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to throw away the soil in your garden ?
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hallo, new member with lots of digging to do! Reply with quote

Coillte wrote:

Like, when you dig up old clay with grass roots and stones in it, what do you do with it... do you put it in your brown bin (kitchen and grass clippings etc) or do you put it in your black bin as rubbish? Or where?

Welcome Coillte.
Why not recycle your old grass turves...... see this thread for more..... Grass sods suitable to use as top soil for a raised border?

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coillte, the way to do it is: clear the grass off first ( I'd cut it first, then lever up the top layer with a garden fork). Stack all the sods you lift, upside down, on top of one another, and they'll eventually rot down into marvellous loam which you can use on your garden. Then, get hold of some well-rotted manure, or compost, and dig it into your clay. Also, don't put your kitchen and grass clippings into a brown bin - they're too valuable; start up a compost heap!
Coillte

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

thanks for all the replies Wink

@ Belfast... well the soil in some cases is not good quality, I think! It's full of stones of various sizes and is almost grey in colour. We'd rather put down some fresh compost instead. I have no inclination or sieve big enough to root out all those stones but I don't want to put this stuff in the brown bin either as I'm not sure that's what Fingal Co Council had in mind. Do we just chunk it in the black bin?

@ GPI I had a look at that link, thank you. But the grass I'm talking about is wild grass. It's growing around a large shrub or bush (I'm not sure what it is) and it's not supposed to be growing there! It's in the flower bed ...or the proposed flower bed Surprised

We're thinking of taking up most of this soil as it has grass roots throughout. Then putting down fresh compost, planting and covering with bark bits to slow down weeds and grass coming back. That's the plan anyway...for now.

@ Sean Ph'lib We probably could put our veggie waste to better use, but we are new to this gardening thing and have to clear all the weeds out of the garden before we could even choose a corner for a compost heap. But I hear what you're saying...

Thanks for all the replies folks...
So can I chunk out the grey soil and stones in the black bin? Is soil with grass roots re-usable?

Think I'll have to get me a copy of Gardening for Dummies!
Embarassed
Belfast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coillte wrote:
Hi there,

thanks for all the replies Wink

@ Belfast... well the soil in some cases is not good quality, I think! It's full of stones of various sizes and is almost grey in colour. We'd rather put down some fresh compost instead. I have no inclination or sieve big enough to root out all those stones but I don't want to put this stuff in the brown bin either as I'm not sure that's what Fingal Co Council had in mind. Do we just chunk it in the black bin?

I would make a compost bin and add it in layer in between the grass clipping and other garden waste. The organic material in the compost will help improve the soil.

Make a compost bin
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/compost-bin/

Making your own compost
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/module7/making_your_own_compost1.shtml
Coillte

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Belfast Wink I talked to my husband about a compost heap and he's not convinced! My dad had one years ago and my husband used stuff out of it to plant things and all he got was mushrooms Laughing

I'd be afraid of attracting vermin... am I wrong?
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been making compost for 30 years...in three different gardens, both urban and rural, and I have never had any trouble with vermin....( unless you count mice as vermin....they occasionally will nest in a compost heap ) and I would have to admit I have always added cooked non-meat scraps ( eg bread, rice, pasta etc) which some people say attracts vermin, but have had no problems.
Get some old pallets and get started....you'll soon be converted!
Coillte

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sive,

am not sure but I'll have a wee think about it! Eh, we had a mouse a year or two ago, despite also having a cat and it took us awhile to get rid of him. We had a humane trap and he kept sneaking in, robbing bait and sneaking out. Cheeky bugger!

I think I would need a much bigger garden to feel safe with a compost heap but we'll see. I'll read up a bit more before I judge Wink Cheers !
Belfast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coillte wrote:
Thanks Belfast Wink I talked to my husband about a compost heap and he's not convinced! My dad had one years ago and my husband used stuff out of it to plant things and all he got was mushrooms Laughing

I'd be afraid of attracting vermin... am I wrong?

I have never had a problem with vermin.

it depends on what you put in it.
Make sure you do not put meat or oil in it bread in it.
I grow all sorts of thing in the stuff from my compost heap over the last 5 years.

"These can go in:
Shredded paper (although not shiny magazine type paper) cotton and wool fabrics
Woody material like prunings and Brussels sprout stems. These need to be put through a shredder first
Uncooked vegetable trimmings, peelings and tea bags from the kitchen
Annual weeds
Tops of perennial weeds
Old bedding plants
Soft hedge clippings
Dead leaves
Lawn mowings

These can't:
Synthetic fabrics
Food scraps
Meat or bones
Diseased plant material
Soil pests
Any weeds with seedheads
Perennial roots
Dog or cat waste"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/module7/making_your_own_compost1.shtml

Helpful Hints ­ Compost Heaps & Bins
http://www.ipcc.ie/compwildheap.html
Coillte

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you very much for that! That's very informative. I think you may have convinced me to give it a go. It doesn't look like I can go wrong. Thank you very much and thanks for all the other replies too. You're all very good. Very Happy

Compost corner, here I come!
John H
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coillte

I built my own compost with 8x1 timber and at the bottom of it i put on a inch wire mesh this stops any vermin burrowing in and lets the worms in. On top a bit of plywood.

This is working well for me now. No sign of any unwanted visitors Very Happy

I had a plastic shop bought one before a the rats had a feild day in it.
Coillte

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers John, I'll keep that in mind. I know the wire mesh stuff. We had to put some around our drains to stop mice breaking into the kitchen!

thanks again!

Coillte
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Introduce yourself to the rest of the Irish gardeners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: