Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

potatoes in a barrel any advise?

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
EmmaKav
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: potatoes in a barrel any advise? Reply with quote

Hey all,
just planted up some seed potatoes in a large barrel I came across and I'm worried that I haven't done it right. I know its a bit late in the season & thats why i've planted up in a barrel so I can move them indoors if it gets too cold .

I drilled three large holes in the bottom about 1inch wide then lined with a broken clay pot, filled it about a 1/4 way with a mixture of westland organic compost and earth from the garden, planted four chitted potatoes with shoots up and put another light covering of compost on top so I can just see the tip of the tallest shoot.

Have I done right, I have heard mention laying the potatoes, putting more compost in & planting more seeds?? Or do I just wait till these shoot up & then start covering to encourage more shoots ?? Have I covered them with enough compost?? Any advise would be great as I'm new to all this
Thanks
Michael196
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry about potatoes getting too cold, at this time of year. Potatoes are hardy , so this time of year is no problem to them. Soil temps are 20 deg c at the moment.

you can bury the potoate down a good six inches. its a bonus if the shoot is breaking the ground , but make sure the potatoe is down six inches at least.

whats the variety? golden wonder s or ??? ( the variety affects when the potatoe is due to flower aand produc potatoes. dont worry if you dont know.

4 to a barrel is a bit much, more like 1 to the barrel woold be correct. how big is the barrel?

when it flowers , porab 6- 8 weeks away make sure it gets enough water at that stage as that is when the potatoe is forming.

You could remove the broken clay pot as the potatoe will absorb all available water, and give that extra space.

you could absolutly do this now again, as the potatoe wil not mind. I promise.

make the corrections and let it be...... check in here again when you need to.
EmmaKav

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a million,

the barrel is about 25inch high n 13inchs wide and the potatoes i've just noticed are unwins first earlies, a friend gave them to me from what she had left over.

My raised beds aren't ready yet and I really wanted to try planting something this year so thats why I went with the barrel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: