Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Stone burier or stone rake??

Most Recent Posts Garlic problem
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: ponddigger
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................
Last post: Keeks
I'm new here
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
MeathMan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Stone burier or stone rake?? Reply with quote

Hi, I understand the theory of both and have heard conflicting opinions on which is best. I've an acre to do. Which would give me the best finish. I'm thinking a stone burier bight be the right job?? Obviously I'd like my lawn to be finished like a billiard table:) I intend renting the equipment and doing it myself...
sweetpea

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the stones they are gone forever.
BlackBird
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your soil and the surrounding gardens are very well drained then I would be inclined to go for the stone burier. No point in getting rid of stone which will only aid garden drainage.
Have you ever worked either of those two machines before MeathMan? I don't know if they are something you can learn how to use in a short while. Plus who's hiring them up your side? Wink
MeathMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blackbird, I've had it moledrained & and I'm gettin afrench drain in on a wet patch at the moment but on the whole its still not excessively dry. So far I've gound 2 companys renting that equipment, Newbridge Hire and www.diggers.ie .My inlaws are fairly big farmers and they'r every willing to help but their tractors are too big for the stone burier or rake so I'll probably rent a compact tractor. I've been getting landscaper prices which are based on square meterage and are very high. I've been thinking that in the current climate I should be able to get someone with this type of experience on a dayrate to operate the equipment if I rent it. What you think? Any advice is welcome?
jimmy mac
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi meathman I have spent 2 days this week preparing and sowing 3/4 acre of ground.For the job i got a local farmer to plough the ground and then till it all for €50. I then hired a walk behind stoneraker from kws hire in portlaoise.This cost me €120 for the day It did a fantastic job on thesurface and can be set at different heights so as not to raise too many stones .I then had to take away the stones and i handraked the lines left .About half way through the job the gearstick broke on the rake with the result that i had no reverse.This made the jb of managing the rake very hard but i persevered.I think anyone can use this piece of machinery but it is heavy .It will rake in 2 directions so all stones can be brought together from 2 sides.I then got a bag of seed and back to the hire shop for a spreader (my one was banjaxed) and a roller attachment that you fill with water.I attached this to the ride on lawnmower.2 hours later the job was finished.with a total cost of 120 (rake) 75 (seed) 50 (farmer)and 22(spreader and roller =267euro not bad for 3/4 acre.Id say you should go for it.Oh by the way the total time taken was 2 days for 1.5 people rgds JIMMY MAC
MeathMan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimmy Mac. Thanks for reply. Yeah, I've decided, I'm going to rent a compact tractor + stone rake for a day or 2 at E200 per day and the seeder is E85 per day. I'll operate the machinery myself and I can get some labour to help quite cheaply.....Question-did the stone rake require a single pass or multiple passes and how quickly does it move, also would the ground need to be freshly harrowed as parts of mine were done a while ago and although they're not quite compacted I'm just wondering would he stone rake be able to break up the surface???
jimmy mac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meathman id have to say it took me about 3 goes to level it good.I would say the more you go over it the better it levels.Only that the gear stick broke i would have done it again.The speed was variable gear 2 was very slow but good when coming to turns , 3 to 4 fast enough it was perfect for me.There is a 5th gear but this was too fast ,if you hit a large stone it would turn the machine and mess up the lines.If i was to advise on the ground i would say it would be better to have it ploughed and tilled first as it makes the job a lot easier.I tried the stone rake on a very compacted piece of ground and it kept turning on me so i gave up.This piece of ground will need rotovating first .Hopes this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: