Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

Powdery Mildew on Myositis Blue Ball

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
catman
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Powdery Mildew on Myositis Blue Ball Reply with quote

I have planted two myositis 'blue ball' in the garden in March however a powdery mildew started forming on one two weeks ago and it is now completely covered and it has started to form on the second now. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this or should I remove them before it spreads to other plants. Its such a pity as they were the only colour in the garden for the past month and were growing great.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show a clear, sharp photograph? It's a strange way for powdery mildew to work, I would have expected it to affect both plants at the same time as the conditions and reasons would effect both at the same time.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I constantly used to get that mildew (or whatever it is) on myosotis in my first garden many years ago, and I actually just gave up on growing it at all as it always looked awful and I got rid of all the affected plants. I don't remember it spreading to anything else in the garden though.
I'm afraid I don't like to garden with chemicals, so I won't grow anything that needs sprays (potatoes being the only exception)....maybe it's a bit of laziness too! If the plants are happy, I'm happy!
Liparis

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's a mldew whhich is pecific to Mysotis. I can't think of one though, that may be why it started on one then progressed through to the other.
Bill.

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that powdery mildew is specific to Myosotis and some varieties only as well as the wild one from which the disease usually spreads. i agree with the policy of not spraying where it is unnecessary.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
catman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bout the delay in getting back, I was away for the weekend. I'll get a couple of snaps tomorrow and see what you think.
I noticed tonight that there are some new leaves sprouted and they are green and soft and do not have any of the mildew. Any new leaves which sprouted previously came out with the mildew on them and were dry and crispy. Maybe the lack of rain and soggy soil over the past week has slowed it down slightly.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sorry about the delay in getting back but for one reason and then another I have only been able to get out to the garden this evening. Attached are the photo's of the Myositis with the powdery mildew. Overthe past week a number of new leaves have started to sprout on both and appear to be with out the mildew but the older leaves which have it are dying. Is there anything I can do?

DSC01755_800x600.JPG
 Description:
First plant Myositis mildew appeared on.
 Filesize:  230.81 KB
 Viewed:  5196 Time(s)

DSC01755_800x600.JPG

DSC01761_800x600.JPG
 Description:
Mildew appeared on this Myositis 2 weeks after this other one. Both were newly planted in March.
 Filesize:  227.49 KB
 Viewed:  5196 Time(s)

DSC01761_800x600.JPG

Liparis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like the plants are fighting back, plus conditions are probably less favourable for the mildew.
I would pick off the affected leaves, I know tedious, and burn them. Spray with a fungicide and keep an eye on them. Spores will be down in that bark, another downside of using bark mulch, it's never composted properly these days, it may even have arrived in the bark, so damp humid weather may well see it come back. Spray with the fungicide as soon as (if) you see it begin again. Don't wait until it gets so bad otherwise you will never get on top of it.
Bill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: