Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Do I have carrot fly?

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
artful_dodger74
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Do I have carrot fly? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first time posting here. Recently decided to get more interested in gardening. (influenced by my new wife!) Have built raised beds in our garden and have planted carrots, amongst other things....

For the past few of weeks have noticed the foliage on a lot of the carrot plants turning a sort of deep reddish colour. Read somewhere that this might be carrot fly and to check and see do i have black marks on the roots. Dug up two of the plants and found nothing black at all. I have noticed that the foliage doesn't see to be growing much, if at all.

Can someone tell me where i go from here? Is it carrot fly for definite and if so what should i do? Just a note, the carrots are planted in a raised bed without any netting or covering.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a mill.

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well artful codger it seems alittle early for carrot root fly but not unknown at this time of year but rare in such inclement weather. examine the roots and search for tiny maggots one eight inch in diameter and half inch or less in length, white in colour and will be found near the growing tip of the carrot. Raised beds would have little influence on the attack but the proximity of a crop of carrots last year would have a big influence. the use of fleece would have prevented the attack. the red colour could be due to other causes, eelworms trace element deficiency, weather factors. The latter can have a different effect on the size of the individual roots and they all may not have germinated together.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
artful_dodger74

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replay Michael. I examined the roots of a few of the plants which are off colour and didnt find anything of that nature. We recently moved into the house and the whole back garden was covered in decorative stones so im pretty sure there were no carrots growing there last year. Maybe it was the weather. Actually i did notice this morning that some of them looked a bit better than they did before the good weather came in. I'll keep an eye on them over the next while and see if there is any change.

Thanks again for help. Much appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: