Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Alloments in Ireland

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Jenny O'Leary
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Alloments in Ireland Reply with quote

Can someone help me out as you may have greater knowledge of the legal framework in the environment...

Is there a provision in Irish legislation that allows for entitlements of every person to allotments?? I heard this from a colleague and find it hard to believe... they were a tad hazy on the detail though... any and all information appreciated! I've googled and cant find anything!!

Thanks to all!!
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure of Irish law, but I think it's similar to UK law where if a minimum of 12 people request land for allotments, they have to release land that isn't earmarked for any major projects, but they have to find some.
I think in Irelands it read as, where enough people request... so the thing would be who and how is "enough" interpreted.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Jenny O'Leary

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill... very helpful! I had a feeling there would be red tape somewhere!! Very Happy
sevenstar

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching 'Corrigan's City Farm' a few weeks ago he did say that because of some law (1926?) that the Local Authority was obliged to release any unused land held by them to allotments. Not sure if a mimimum numbers are required but might be an idea to contace your local counselor or invite one in for a cup of tea when they come to your door around now and grill them. Good luck.
Jenny O'Leary

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a bad idea at all... mind you, they seem to be few and far between this year!!! afraid to face the music methinks... thanks for the info!
paddy mac fisto
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: allotments In Ireland Reply with quote

The councils have a MANDATE to provide land to groups of people who request allotments. They are not OBLIGED to provide them. Basically the advice I received from town councillors (and this was reinforced by Trevor Seargant in Corrigans City Farm) was to get a group of people together in your locality and get everyone to sign an "expression of interest" form. This would be a letter that everyone interested could send in to their council. Its advisable to get a local councillor on board with the proposal as they can help you with the bureaucracy of councils. Local elections are happening now so if any hopeful candidates come canvassing ask them about it. I would imagine it would be a long drawn out process (which is why i rent a private allotment now, immediate fix) with many many false dawns. The councillor in Maynooth I was talking to about it actually got as far as bringing forward motions in council meetings but all to no avail I'm afraid. It's very difficult to get councils find land that hasn't been earmarked for some other purpose and even more difficult to get them to release it for public use.

Having said all this though, there are no shortcuts on the path to victory (did Mel Gibson say that in some movie?). It is well worth having a go. I'm a bit cynical about it at this stage. It's all right for Richard Corrigan to turn up to council meetings with a camera crew and a show on the national broadcaster with the whole country watching and achieve things in a very short space of time. In reality the councils will make you jump through numerous hoops of red tape. I just got fed up and decided to rent a private one. There are plenty of posts on this site about the pros and cons relating to privately run vs. council allotments. Please post here if you do have a go though, it'd be great to hear about a successful petition.

Good luck

michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an open evening in allotments in East Cork, at Ightermurragh on Ladysbridge /Ballymacoda road Friday evening 5th June 2009 at 7 pm. Michael Brenock horticultural advisor will give a talk and meet allotment holders and prospective holders. All welcome.
lyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small raised bed with beet root, carrots, spinach, peas, leeks,beans an Rolling Eyes d broadbeans. How often should I water? especially during this heat
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyn wrote:
I have a small raised bed with beet root, carrots, spinach, peas, leeks,beans an Rolling Eyes d broadbeans. How often should I water? especially during this heat

Lucky I spotted this as it is a bit off the main topic of the thread. Wink

Your query.......... Because raised beds have greater exposure to sun, wind, and heat, they need to be watered more frequently than a regular veg bed.
Raised beds may need may need to be watered as often every 2nd day depending on the drying conditions.
A rule of thumb..... Feel the soil with your fingers, if the top inch of soil feels dry, then water .

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
lyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much,will get watering!
sevenstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of allotments quote a price for the 'allotment year' can anyone tell me what is an allotment year? is it the same as a regular year (12 months) or something different?
Liparis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too sure, but I think it's 11 months.
Bill.

sevenstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Bill. Also saw somewhere that it's from March to December. Plan to go to an open day at Annamoe Allotments in Wicklow this weekend and will post what I find. Chris.
Liparis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be that the land owners themselves dictate the year.
Bill.

Macy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liparis wrote:
I'm not too sure, but I think it's 11 months.
Bill.

11 months is the standard for renting agricultural land anyway. I don't know the ins and outs but I think any longer and you start getting rights as tenants. I've no idea whether that would apply to allotments, but maybe if it's farmers renting out land they are using the same logic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: