Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland

Feature tree for steep bank - any ideas?

Most Recent Posts Cleaaning polytunels/greenhouses.
Last post: tagwex
I'm new here
Hi, guy here trying to grow stuff in a tunnel
Introduce yoursellf to whom.......................

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
brian.shaugh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Feature tree for steep bank - any ideas? Reply with quote

Question

I have a large steep bank with a winding path and some small dry stone walls
to help create different levels. I would really love a distinctive tree set about half way up to set it all off - I was thinking of something like a struffy looking Scots Pine. I have alot of beech hedging around so I would like something that retains some green all year round - any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Wexford
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Feature tree for steep bank - any ideas? Reply with quote

brian.shaugh wrote:
Question

I have a large steep bank with a winding path and some small dry stone walls
to help create different levels. I would really love a distinctive tree set about half way up to set it all off - I was thinking of something like a struffy looking Scots Pine. I have alot of beech hedging around so I would like something that retains some green all year round - any ideas?

Thanks

Brian

Wexford

What size are you limited to and is the site expose to high winds.
brian.shaugh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for taking the time to reply.

not much bigger than 15 - 20 ft as I have a garage about the same distance away with natural slate and don't fancy trying to mend it if the tree every fell!!! Saying that the site is fairly sheltered and not exposed to high winds.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pines are a very weak point for me. I ignored them when younger because I just hated all those softish type fancy conifers and how they are grown. Pines however, I do admire and enjoy seeing a nice specimen. For names though, I'm useless, although one that automatically springs to mind is the Mugo pine (Pinus mugo), it comes in various varieties with varying habit, it may suit you. I have one in the garden which was planted with a lot of other horrible (in my opinion, but I'm aware others love them) conifers. It's about 15 years old and reaches a hieght of around 8' and I think it's great, it has a spread of around 8'. You would need to look at varieties available to find the growth pattern you want for your situation then see if a garden centre will get you one if they don't have it in stock. Please don't let them talk you into a variety different from what you want, otherwise you may be extremely disapointed eventually, some garden centres will do that to get you to take what they have rather than order you one. Don't entertain a garden centre that works like that. I don't know the variety of mine so can't help you, but I could take a photograph later today to let you see it.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden planning, prep and landscape design in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: