Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Raised bed size

Most Recent Posts Planting trees in carparks.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Blowin
Garden Visits.
Last post: tagwex
Is planting a laurel hedge bad for Irish Environment
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
John H
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Raised bed size Reply with quote

Just a quick question what is a good size to build a raised bed. I was thinking along the lines of 8X4.

Just so access is fairly easy, the only thing I am concerned about is, is it big enough.

I hope to have 4 - 5 eventually.
verge

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Raised bed size Reply with quote

Quote:
I was thinking along the lines of 8X4.

Sounds about right John H, usually 3 to 4ft wide and approx 9 to 12ft long.

Need more materials?

Irish home delivery.

Need more materials?

UK home delivery.

Need more materials?

US home delivery.

- Grow bed bargains-
CLICK HERE.

-Grow bed bargains-
CLICK HERE.

- Grow bed bargains-
CLICK HERE.

Benefited from us? Then link to us or tell others.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how long your arms are and how good your back is! Mine are 3' 6" wide (which allows three potato plants across when it's the spud break) and 12' long.
TheBear
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have space of about 9' by 9' for my vegetable beds, and have been wavering between three 8'x2' or two 8'x3' beds. The 2' beds would make crop rotation easier, but would they be too narrow to be useful?

(Sorry, fairly new to this; I may be popping up with various questions as I'm getting my vegetable patch established.)
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: raised bed size Reply with quote

All my beds are 8 x 4, very handy size for weeding but a good enough size to sow a decent amount of seed. 8 x 3 sounds like it'd be a fine size but i personally I wouldn't go much smaller than that because depending on what you sow you'll need to leave anything up to a 12 inch gap between plants. Presuming that you'd sow long rows rather than lots of little short rows down the length of the bed, a 2 ft wide bed wouldn't leave much room for very many rows.

Another tip I would give is if you can, don't cut the uprights of the beds flush with the height of the bed. Leave them a couple of feet higher than the bed. this will allow you to net the beds very easily.

TheBear

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: raised bed size Reply with quote

paddy mac fisto wrote:
All my beds are 8 x 4, very handy size for weeding but a good enough size to sow a decent amount of seed. 8 x 3 sounds like it'd be a fine size but i personally I wouldn't go much smaller than that because depending on what you sow you'll need to leave anything up to a 12 inch gap between plants. Presuming that you'd sow long rows rather than lots of little short rows down the length of the bed, a 2 ft wide bed wouldn't leave much room for very many rows.

Another tip I would give is if you can, don't cut the uprights of the beds flush with the height of the bed. Leave them a couple of feet higher than the bed. this will allow you to net the beds very easily.

That's a great idea, thanks. I'd been pondering how to avoid the curse of the carrot fly.
Planet X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two sizes, 8 X 4 and 11 X 5 (background). Looking forward to using the bigger ones actually.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc356/Kilroy8282/P1000540.jpg?t=1244113863
John H

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update I decided to go with 8 X 4 and it worked well for me. I got a couple of rows of cabbages and carrots and three rows of three types of onions and a bit of lettuce.

It was easy to access any weeds popping up and pick out slugs.

Hopefully next year I will have a few more to work on. Smile
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three 4x8 beds and, frankly, it's not enough. However, 4ft is definitely the widest you should have - it can be quite a stretch to work in the middle. They can be as long as you like but bear in mind you have to walk around them to get to the other side!!
John H

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping to have five in total so I will be able to crop rotate and hopefully the soil should not get to worn out after a few years.

I will try to keep from using fertilizers. I hope to get away with just using compost and dung ( I don't know if that is enough to keep the soil fertile ) Maybe someone can let me know. Question
Daithic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John H wrote:
I am hoping to have five in total so I will be able to crop rotate and hopefully the soil should not get to worn out after a few years.

I will try to keep from using fertilizers. I hope to get away with just using compost and dung ( I don't know if that is enough to keep the soil fertile ) Maybe someone can let me know. Question

It depends on what you want to grow John. Usually what you propose will be good for most but you may add lime, for instance, to prevent clubroot on brassicas or other fertilisers like blood or fishbone for other plants - this forum is a good source of info on the various plants so you can check it out before you plant.

I have used 4ft as the "standard" width of my beds too (varying lengths)- I think it is ideal for weeding etc. and not having to stand on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: