Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland

elderflower tree

Most Recent Posts Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: Margo
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lucyloo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: elderflower tree Reply with quote

I have one of these tree's, growing happily in my garden at the side of the house. I didn't plan it, it just grow. But im noticing a few tiny trees now growing in my flower bed in the front garden on the other side of the wall. I have pulled them up.

What can I use this tree for, I have seen some mentions of champaign but are there other uses aswell. I have just been on google and can't really find what im looking for, from it. Can they be used in the in other ways in the garden?

Thanks in advance.

Could it be that this tree, is growing from seed dropped by birds? Or would it be coming from an area, along side our house of trees.[/u]
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucyloo, you're right about champagne, the flowers make a lovely wine or champagne. The berrys make a gorgeous red. You can also make elderflower cordial.

If you want to harvest the berrys make sure you get to them before the starlings do. I've seen an entire tree being stripped in an hour! It's also been noticed that starlings pick the new leaves in the Spring to line their nests with. It's thought they have a role to play in repelling parasites.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: elderflower tree Reply with quote

Lucyloo wrote:

Could it be that this tree, is growing from seed dropped by birds?

Most probably. I wrote a lot of pieces on the native Irish trees and shrubs, elderberry being one of them. You will find it here Lucyloo Native Irish Elder / Elderberry... Sambucus nigra .. An Trom

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Bobby

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Elder tree Reply with quote

Hi Lucyloo,
Yes, the tree was 'donated' by a passing bird. Smile that's what they do, and you can sometimes get some great plants as a result.

Elderflowers make a great dessert. Dip the flowers only into a light tempura batter, lift them out by the stem and fry in very hot sunflower oil. Dust with a little suger before serving.

Enjoy,
Bobby

Lucyloo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise Smile
blondie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elderberries when ripe can be used to make soup,seaves as a good dose of vitamin C and can be frozen,we use it over the winter,said to ward off colds, no complaints so far..
The flowers we use to ease period pain,when dried and infused with hof water to make a tea.It also works for hayfever as my husband uses it in the mornings and it eases his symptoms.

inishindie
Rank attained: Tree plantation keeper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: cordially invited Reply with quote

Elderflower cordial

Elderflower cordial is a delicious summer tonic that you can make yourself. This tasty drink goes down really well with children and adults alike.

This recipe is best made with fresh flowers, which have been picked on a sunny day when they are still creamy in colour and before they fade to white. At this time they have the highest amount of pollen, which contains the yeast.

4.5 litres (1 gallon) of water
1.8kg (4lb) cane sugar
Juice and thinly peeled rind of 6 unwaxed lemons
70 grams of citric acid (2.5 ounces)
40 elderflower heads. Shake them well to remove live insects and only wash if picked beside a road.

(The ingredients are very open to interpretation, you might like to use less lemons or use 30ml (2 tblsp) of cider or wine vinegar in place of the citric acid) There is also a recipe for elderflower champagne which only uses 2 flower heads.

Method: Bring the water to the boil and pour into a sterilised container. Add the sugar, stirring until dissolved. When cool add the lemon rind and juice, also the citric acid (or vinegar) and elderflowers. Cover with several layers of muslin and leave for 24 hours. Stir 3 times a day for 5 days. Filter through muslin into strong glass bottles. The drink is ready after two weeks. Serve chilled, diluted with still or carbonated water to taste. It is best used within three months but it has been known to last up to two years.

For an extra special treat at dinnertime, why not dip the fresh flower heads in batter and deep fry.

elderflower cordial.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.59 KB
 Viewed:  10467 Time(s)

elderflower cordial.JPG

dinahdabble
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elder berries can be crushed to a pulp, and the pulp dried (or made into a cordial). This substance was more generaly used as medicin in the middle east, and was marketed as "Sambucol" years back. Unlike many herbals that have not been systematicaly tested yet, it rated higher than Echinacea in scientific studies on plants reputed to ward off and hasten recovery from colds. This put the extract high up in the herbal 'must have' lists, and elder extract is now widely available in chemists and health stores.
The studies were made a few years ago - I am not up to date with most recent findings - but they found that Elder Berry contained substances with anti-viral properties, that's beside the anti-bacterial properties that many fruits have and the boost to the imune system provided by the vitamine C.
I think I read about them in a copy of the English Guardian newspaper my Mother sent me, but you might have a look in the chemist and see what they call the extract these days, and find out more on the internet from this.
sal
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i make a nice elderberry and blackberry wine,and have some elderberry jam left from last year,i also use the flowers for elderfower wine,lovely
Her Outdoors
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal, can you post the recipe for your Elderberry/Blackberry wine please? I have made Blackberry & found it a bit too dry. Thanks
Sunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yum, my mom used to make Elderflower cordial when we were kids. Lovely, such a unique taste and very easy to make.
sal

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do the same with most fruit,
4lb berries,
3lb sugar(white)
4 lemons,scrubbed and sliced
into pot bring to boil with about 3 litres water
,simmer for about half hour,
leave till just warm,put into large plastic l(food) tub,i use the catering tubs with handle i got from the local resturant,
take a small jug of the mixture ,
add yeast to the jug,cover for a couple of hours,
then add the must(the contents of the jug) to the mixture in the plastic tub,
cover with some muslin(i use a net curtain)tied with a large rubber band to stop the vinegar fly getting in,
leave for 1 week and stir daily,then sieve through muslin till as much berries lemons etc is out,put into demi jar topping up with warm previously boiled water to about 2 inches from the top,put in bung and airlock,
leave for about 2 months in hotpress and strain agint to get rid of the stuff at the bottom of the demijar,leave again in demijar till the liquid stops bubbling,and bottle,
sal

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget the campden tabs,to sterilise the jars utensils bottles etc,use wooden spoon if possible,i dont use metal although i boil in a stainless steel pot,
i also vary my 4 citrus fruit with oranges,lime as well depending on what taste i want,with elderflower i use 1 lime 3 lemons,i dont use anything else as i dont care if it clears or not,my gorse flower dosnt clear but the rest do without additives,hope you can follow this and have success
Her Outdoors

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Sal - will give the elderberry/blackberry a go.
sal

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention,top up with boiled water from the kettle into the simmering mixture,and dont put heat too high(after bringing to boil),just barely on,and stir it from time to time, ok thats about it from memory,one lot i added cloves,this time i want to add a cinamon stick as well just to see if it makes for a good winter wine,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Trees & other trees grown in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: