Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc.

Crow-proof feeders

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Sue Deacon
oops
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Crow-proof feeders Reply with quote

I've a couple of feeding stations in the garden and get a great variety of birds visiting. However, in the last few weeks the rooks have changed from occasional visitors to pests. They're emptying all my feeders in no time. They went through 10 kilos of seed in two days last week. I've had to leave them empty although I hate doing that. Has anyone any tricks to keep them away?
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRPF-43 Crow/Magpie/ Squirrel Proof Feeder

Baltinanima,
Roundwood,
Bray,
Co.Wicklow,

Tel : 01-2818037/01-2019981

Fax : 01-2818067

Email : dundin@eircom.net

http://www.dunneanddineen.ie/wildlife.htm
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Belfast. I was hoping someone would come up with a slightly cheaper option Very Happy

I'm going to experiment with some fencing wire this weekend.
Roger
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

i actually have the misfortune of having a rookery right beside my garden and have been trying to find a way to keep crows and jackdaws away for the last 2 years (without hurting them of course)... a constant battle i must say! Mad
However last year i had an idea and since i must say i have had very little visits from them on the feeders. They still go around the garden but can't get at the feeders...

What i did was, i bought chicken wire and a roll of thick wire. with the thick wire i made 3 circles wide enough to put the feeder in then i wrapped the chicken wire around the circles i made and tied it up to the circles so it all stays in place.
Then i just put a lenght of the thick wire across the top(to hold the feeder inside and to attach the hook to hold it up and there you go!! Cool
You need to make sure there's enough space between the feeders and the chicken wire though as the jackdaws can put their heads through it and get at the feeder if it's too close.

I hope i described this well but if not let me know and i will post a few pics of the ones i made to see if it helps...

Good luck!

paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Scaldy crows Reply with quote

This was discussed on Mooney goes wild a couple of weeks ago. The ornithologist on said to hang the feeders from elastic bands. When the crow lands on it it will shake up and down in a manner they dislike and wont want to land on it, whereas your average bluetit doesn't weigh enough to cause much movement.
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a brilliant idea about the elastic bands! I think that is exactly what is called lateral thinking!
( I'd have probably gone for the wire cage method and not given it a second thought )
Thanks for that Paddy.
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Scaldy crows Reply with quote

Occasionally, there are rewards to putting up with Mooney and some of his stuffy co-hosts Laughing
Protein
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems with the crows and the suet balls I left out over winter.

They tear the plastic wrapping and make off with the whole ball.

I tried lengthening the string from the tree where they were hanging, but all they did was sit on the branch, and lift the string up with their beak and clasp it with their claws, and so forth, the the ball was in their reach.

I made the string even longer and tied to a thinner branch, but they congregated underneath it and took turns picking at it till the plastic tore.

Next year, I plan to try something else hang the ball from a "Y" shaped string.. see if that helps....boy, they propel you to think, don't they

Rolling Eyes
me

ps - should I be leaving my peanut feeders empty over this period? I feel young birds will learn that food comes from the feeders and they won't know better....

Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current thinking is to leave the peanuts out, as they give the parent birds a quick high-energy snack while they gather food for their young.
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peanuts aren't the best food to offer when young are being fed, they find it extremely difficult to digest.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Garlicbreath

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I never did get around to doing anything about this at the weekend - got sidetracked by sun, beer, BBQs, etc Laughing Laughing I love the tip about elastic bands. Definitely going to try that one. No matter what happens it'll be hilarious watching the rooks trying to work it out!
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of elastic bands... will definitely try this in the next few days!!

As for leaving Peanut feeders full throughout the year... i would say yes do leave them out. I spend a lot of time watching the birds in my garden and i can tell you that any parents are very happy to come for a quick snack.
And i can also tell you that most parents don't feed their young peanuts until they are fully ready for it... i have blue tits, chaffinches, sparrows and greenfinches all with their young and they still feed their young with insects (and maggots which i also provide) from the garden. Lately the sparrows are showing the young how to get to the feeders but the young are pretty much looking like adults (except for the wing flapping!)

Like any parents they seem to know well what to give their young!

Roger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paddy Mac,

i'm sorry to say that i tried to hang my feeders with elastic bands and this has not worked to keep the Jackdaws aways Sad I had three of them hanging to the feeder at once and they did not seem a bit bothered by the bouncing or spinning!! The feeder was emptied within the day, by the time i got home from work Mad And from the "presents left over around the feeder it seems the whole rookery had a right ol' feed!! Evil or Very Mad
So i went back to my good old reliable chicken wire...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish garden birds, bird watching, hens, ducks, geese etc. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: