Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care

Lawn Care and Maintenance questions

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
njpryan
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Lawn Care and Maintenance questions Reply with quote

Hello all,
My main problem is not knowing when to do things or what to use on maintaining a new lawn etc.
I have a large lawn at the back which was laid May 2008. It was rolls of turf from Wexford and was needing to be laid due to an upcoming Communion. It took 3 days to lay. Now everything was perfect of course on the day and for the rest of the year. Now that winter is gone and spring too I have noticed that I have the following visitors on my lawn: creeping buttercup, dock leafves, mushrooms and most importantly since the weather has been bad a squelching sound of water when walked upon. I started to cut the grass at the end of March. I only recently gave it a feed thinking it was a weed & feed but on later seeing the bag I was disappointed. Now apologies for going on but what I need to know is the following: How often can I give it a weed and feed and which is the best for this time of year. I try to cut the grass twice a week but the rain is reducing that to once every 10 days.
I appreciate the effort in reading this long cry for help but its like trying to help someone that is lost. If someone can just point in the right direction of what to do with grass for the year with the information of what to use and how often.
By the way I have just bought an aerator for €20 and intend to use it when it stops raining !!
Also whats the best weed killer for thorns, ivy and sticklebacks growing through a wired fence alongside the boundary of my garden.

Looking forward to your advice and help. Thanks Mad
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try here
Lawn Care and Maintenance rules for Ireland
http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about243.html

"How to Get and Maintain a Healthy Lawn

A beautiful lawn is easier to have and maintain than the professional lawn-care people want you to think. Sadly, their way of maintaining lawns is dictated by the fertilizer makers and not by grass know-how or science.

1. Stop fertilizing your lawn repeatedly. Lots of fertilizer encourages rapid grass growth, making the grass plants more vulnerable to disease and insects. Once in the fall is best. Details below.
2. Start mowing at the highest setting on your mower--probably 3 1/2 to 4 inches. Taller grass is healthier grass. It shades out weed seeds, preventing them from sprouting. It keeps the soil cooler, keeping it moist longer and encouraging the proliferation of soil microbes. (You want lots of soil microbes because they convert nutrients from the soil into a form that plants can use.) All this encourages grass to spread into bare spots. And it promotes deeper root penetration, which is the secret to drought resistance.
3. Never apply pesticides, insecticides or fungicides. Those kill living things (those good microbes plus earthworms that naturally aerate soil) that keep your soil richer. If you observe the other steps in this plan, you won't need the killer chemicals. "
rest is in link below
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-and-Maintain-a-Healthy-Lawn

"Improve your lawn

Check your lawn regularly for problems and keep it well trimmed over the spring and summer.Keep your lawn healthy, lush and green with our easy care guide."
rest is in the link below
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/lawns_improvingyourlawn1.shtml

How to Maintain Grass
http://articles.directorym.co.uk/How_to_Maintain_Grass_England-r1122432-England.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Lawns and grass care All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: