Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Help. Rat at the seedlings!

Most Recent Posts Whats wrong with my apple tree
Last post: Sunflower
Storm approaching
Last post: Keeks
Curator wanted.
Last post: Greengage
Brexit
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
colin79ie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Help. Rat at the seedlings! Reply with quote

I seen a rat this morning nibbling at my seedling cauliflower etc. I ave never seen one before around the garden.

Is my veg patch attracting rats? Surely not. There's no other food source in the garden.

I have set some poison in the area I think it's getting in.

Are my vegetables destroyed/safe now that a rat has been at them? There's no damage to them as far as I can see.

Any experiences/advice is MUCH appreciated.
ian
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wear gloves when handling plants or soil at least until rat is caught clear possible hides, tall grass upturned wheelbarrows and turn that compost heap
best of luck with it
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally rats do not bother with vegetable seedlings. sprinkle a little bit of jeys fluid near the seedlings or ground up moth balls. beware of what you put into compost heap as meats and bread scraps attract them
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful wih the Jeye's fluid around plants. I've known people use it around their vegetables and cabbages, carrots and potatoes tasted of Jeyes fluid, all his crops were fit for nothing else but dumping. He put it on a very long time prior to harvesting. Could be he mixed it stronger than he admits, but personally I would keep that stuff as a garden disinfectant or a winter wash. I've never heard of results from moth balls, but I know people use them, but I would worry about similar problems.
If your putting down rat bait, please ensure it's in proper containers the rats can get into and not in the open where other wildlife can get it. Pick up any dead rats immediatly before badgers, birds of prey cats etc scavenge them.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a poultry-keeper, I have to be constantly on guard against rats. I never use poison, partly for fear of poisoning my hens (and dogs), and partly for fear of poisoning my barn owls! My method is this: I keep four mink traps set around the garden, usually up against walls. Rats will always run hard against a wall if they can, as they are then only vulnerable to attack from one side. Any rat that arrives generally runs into one or other of the traps within a day or two of its arrival.
I generally shoot the rat and flip the carcase over the ditch into the adjoining field so the dog can't get at it. My resident grey crows are always on the lookout, and they are only too happy to act as as waste disposal units! Sometimes, though, if the rat seems particularly intelligent - which some do! - I let him go ( a good distance away, of course).
Garlicbreath
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Ph'lip, are you breeding a race of super-intelligent rats down in Kerry??
ian

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you know he is intelligent ? by looking at the cut of his gib? or do you leave a suduko in the trap overnight and if he gets even half of it done then he gets his freedom?
Michael196

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, if the rat is wearing glasses, and has a neat parting in his hair , of course he will look more intelligent.

Alsoif his nails are clean then is obvioulsy not one of those idle corner rats that you see hanging around, check his fingers for tobacco stains also......
Liparis

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Ph'lib is very accurate with his description of rats' habits. That's why you see well worn runs where they are active. They use the very same track all the time with a preference for using walls etc. Put down a trap and it's highly unlikely you will catch a rat right away, they will immediatly see something strange and in most cases will backtrack from until they find another route they use, then later they will go around the object, then once they think it poses no threat they will end up in the trap. It may take a day, or it might take two, but they will have passed the trap several times before including it in there usual track.

Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats are very intelligent creatures. If a rat is sitting in the trap, and you don't look directly at him, he will sit silently, absolutely still, even if you approach to within inches of the trap; while he thinks he is undiscovered, he will not move or in any way give away his presence. But the second you look down at him, he realises he is discovered and reacts. Some try frantically to get out of the trap, forcing their heads out through the mesh; some squeal in terror and try to bite the bars; others remain calm and methodically search every inch of the trap for weak spots. I'm not a lover of rats - in fact I detest them - but I can see that they are amazing creatures!
Liparis

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to breed rats before I came to ireland Laughing They are wonderful creatures. when I discovered how much they were detested by the Irish, i thought I better give up before I became as detested Laughing One of mine used to spend the night fast asleep curled up in my armpit at night Laughing Laughing One learned to open his cage and come and meet me when I got home from work. Unfortunately, disease doesn't make the wild rat so endearing.
Bill.

colin79ie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

I set three wooden traps yesterday and watched in vain as the rat walked around them.

Then, this morning, while having a cup of tea I noticed him poke his head out from under the shed to have a nibble at the chocolate spread in the trap. SNAPPPPP!!

Rat is in the back of the refuse truck as we speak.

Hopefully that's the end of it.

Thanks for your advice.
Liparis

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought for a moment your rat ws going to make a fool of me and go straight in Laughing
Glad you've sorted him.
Bill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: