Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Bottle brush not doing well:(

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Lucyloo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Bottle brush not doing well:( Reply with quote

I bought 2 of these plants two years ago in B&Q. My dog destoyed one of them and attempted to destroy the second one. When I bought them they were in flower and absolutly amazing, but now im having NO success at all with the one I have left.

The leaves look abit funny on it and last year the plant didn't really do anything for me, I thought it was dying, the leaves have gone a funny way, I will upload a picture now this evening. What I want to know is,

how do I best look after this plant?

Are you suppose to prune this plant and if so when, and by how much?

It really is in a bad way but it actually looks like its starting to come back to life again and seems to have some new buds on it.

I really fell in love with this plant, when I bought it and would love it do get healthy again.

Please HELP

I have googled but so far im not finding any tips or advise for this plant.
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottlebrush Plant Care
http://www.ehow.com/video_2328908_bottlebrush-plant-care.html

"Bottle brush or Callistemon care notes
Question
I have obtained a plant I know simply as 'bottle brush' please could you give me some care notes on this plant?
Answer
Bottle brush or Callistemon plant are quite soft and, until recently, have been classed as almost an exotic plant requiring extra care and attention. They are best planted in a sheltered spot in your garden, for example, near a south facing wall would be ideal were they will get a lot of sun and the heat in the evening. They need full sun to grow to their full potential and benefit from a free draining soil which means if you are on a clay soil it will be worth digging in some sharp sand before planting.. For More information click here"
http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/cgi-bin-local/forms/forms.cgi?form=8

http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/advisor/gardening-tips/?p=134
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of leaf reddening can be seen, which can be brought on by cold overly damp or compacted soils in winter/spring.

On the third or so day in a series of dry days, try to get in with a garden fork and insert it as deep as you can go into the soil around the shrub. Do this all over.
Also do this to the fore of the Bottlebrush by jabbing the lawn.

More on aeration here.... Aerating your lawn ----- Aeration and Your Lawns Health

Stay off the lawn and the area in front of the plant if the soil is wet, as you will be compacting the soil more.

Applying a fertiliser with a good Phosphorus content should aid with halting the reddening leaves as well.

Minimal pruning required, just damaged or misplaced shoots really.

I agree with all of Belfasts tips as well.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bottle brush looks to me as if the roots are loose in the ground possibly after being blown by the winds over winter. It certainly likes a free draining soil but such soils often provide poor anchorage. use a stake support or get a plant with many shoots coming from near ground level as distinct from a single stemmed plant.
michael brenock horticultural advisor(retired)
Lucyloo

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, I will sit down with a notepad this afternoon and write down all of the tips and hopefully it will make the difference. I would love to see this plant back to its former self. Hopefully when I use all of the tips I will be back with an update and pictures in a few weeks reporting on good results.

Thanks again Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: