Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Transplanting Turnips for Seed

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
paddy mac fisto
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Transplanting Turnips for Seed Reply with quote

I absolutely hated thinning my turnips (mainly because I'd sown them too thickly and they were seriously over crowded) so i decided I would transplant a couple of the seedlings to see what happens. I know it has to be done but it just seems so...wrong. I'll be sowing alot thinner next time. They did seem to get quite a shock, wilting right back, but they seem to be coming along nicely now sprouting fresh growth. just wondering if anyone knows of anything special I should be doing to get them to run up a seed stalk. Add nitrogen maybe?
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrogen will encourage leaf, they will probably run to seed anyway which is the reason we don't transplant. Just leave them and let them flower.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Transplanting turnips Reply with quote

Mother nature does know best really doesn't she. Cheers Bill.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turnips are biennials, ie they grow vegetatively the first season and the second season they produce a flowering stem and if the flowers are pollinated seed will be produced. Bill is right that by adding nitrogen only delays flowering and in normal circumstances this would be good but you want seed, so starve the plants and they will try hard to reproduce. by transplanting the turnips it will hasten the onset of seed production and make them tougher roots. As long as the variety is not an f1 hybrid they will come true to type like the parent. save the seed after the long seed pod turns yellow but before it opens to shed the seed. store the seed in a dry cool place in a sealed jar until next Spring.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Turnip seed Reply with quote

As always Micheal, your replies are both informative and exhaustive. Ever written a book? The books I have are nowhere near as direct as some of the info you've posted on this site.
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddy mac fisto thanks for your comments. it is the likes of these comments that makes it worthwhile. I have been an advisor all my life and a gardener for just as longer, my father was a market gardener and i grew up in the garden. i like to help people if i can, love the site. have written a book but not on gardeneing, am writing one on gardening at present.
regards michael brenock
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Book Reply with quote

Glad to hear about the book Michael, your posts are always a great help so I'm sure the book will be no different. Any hints as to the other book? I can always use some clear "no bullsh1t" info on pretty much anything. Count me in for a copy of the gardening one in any case... as long as I get a signed one Razz
davidh
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael brenock wrote:
turnips are biennials, ie they grow vegetatively the first season and the second season they produce a flowering stem and if the flowers are pollinated seed will be produced. Bill is right that by adding nitrogen only delays flowering and in normal circumstances this would be good but you want seed, so starve the plants and they will try hard to reproduce. by transplanting the turnips it will hasten the onset of seed production and make them tougher roots. As long as the variety is not an f1 hybrid they will come true to type like the parent. save the seed after the long seed pod turns yellow but before it opens to shed the seed. store the seed in a dry cool place in a sealed jar until next Spring.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)

Excellent advice Michael ! I am growing turnips for the first time and its great to have such concise information without the waffle ! I echo Paddy MacFisto's comments !!

Regards

David Smile
paddy mac fisto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Flowering Turnips Reply with quote

The six turnips I transplanted for seed are taking off, flowers are wither formed or forming on them all. I think I need to thin them out a bit cos they're taking over the carrots and onions a little. I probably only need 3 and we'll see how much seed I get.

ALLOTMENT_JUNE_Forumsize_0016.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.16 KB
 Viewed:  5846 Time(s)

ALLOTMENT_JUNE_Forumsize_0016.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: