Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

help save the Honey bees

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: Margo
funny
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Belfast
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: help save the Honey bees Reply with quote

Bee Friendly Gardening
"Garden to Help Beneficial Honey Bees
Bee on Blossoms, American Beekeeping Federation
As the honey bee population declines, there are simple steps you can take to help the bees, including buying local honey, growing flowers and more.

Recent news reports have said that more than 25% of the U.S. honey bee population has disappeared over the last few winters. The effects of this can be felt in many areas, including the growth of many nut, fruits and berry crops - important produce for farmers and food manufacturers alike.
Why Are Honey Bees Important?

Many U.S. crops depend on honey bees for pollination. As the honey bees gather pollen and nectar for their own survival, they pollinate crops such as apples, cranberries, melons and broccoli. Some crops, including blueberries and cherries, are 90 percent dependent on honey bee pollination and one crop in particular - almonds -- depends entirely on the honey bee for pollination at bloom time.
What's Causing the Decline in Population?

Researchers say that the decline in the bee population can be traced back to the following.

* Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD). More than 35 states across the continental United States and in two provinces in Canada, Belgium, and Spain have reported this condition. CCD is thought to have claimed the lives of billions of honeybees around the world.
* Varroa Mitesh. Accidentally introduced into the United States in 1987, these tiny brown parasites feed exclusively on honey bees.
* Viruses. Israeli AcuParalysis Virus (IAPV) has been linked with CCD.

* Chemical Exposure. Tests on pollen in CCD-affected hives show levels of 45 different types of insecticides, fungicides and herbicides.
* Lack of Nutrition. A limited supply of good pollen and nectar (due to drought) has had an effect on the decline of the honey bee population.

What Can I Do?

There are several things that home gardeners and concerned citizens can do to help the honey bee population. First, create a bee-friendly garden with plants that are attractive to honey bees. These include lavender, jasmine, rosemary, violets, thyme, blue bells, wisteria, cone flowers and sunflowers - common (and in some cases, local and native) perennials and herbs that can be grown easily and with little maintenance. The plants will also add beauty and diversity to your garden."
the rest of the article is in the link below
http://insectsspiders.suite101.com/article.cfm/bee_friendly_gardening

http://insectsspiders.suite101.com/article.cfm/bee_friendly_gardening

Buzzworthy Plants That Attract Bees
"Buzz up!

It isn't difficult to make your yard, garden or even patio space a haven for beneficial bees. You'll be helping these important insects, as well as bringing more nature to your backdoor.

The greater the plant diversity, the more bees you will attract and support. Always try to choose as many native plants as possible, and consult with nursery staff or other experts to find vegetation that will thrive in your specific conditions.

Here is a partial list of tried-and-true bee attractors:

Annuals

Asters
Calliopsis
Clover
Marigolds
Poppies
Sunflowers
Zinnias

Perennials

Buttercups
Clematis
Cosmos
Crocuses
Dahlias
Echinacea
English Ivy
Foxglove
Geraniums
Germander
Globe Thistle
Hollyhocks
Hyacinth
Rock Cress
Roses
Sedum
Snowdrops
Squills
Tansy
Yellow Hyssop

Garden Plants

Blackberries
Cantaloupe
Cucumbers
Gourds
Peppers
Pumpkins
Raspberries
Squash
Strawberries
Watermelons
Wild Garlic

Herbs

Bee Balm
Borage
Catnip
Coriander/Cilantro
Fennel
Lavender
Mints
Rosemary
Sage
Thyme

Shrubs

Blueberry
Butterfly Bush
Button Bush
Honeysuckle
Indigo
Privet

Trees

Alder
American Holly
Basswood
Black Gum
Black Locust
Buckeyes
Catalpa
Eastern Redbud
Fruit Trees (especially Crabapples)
Golden Rain Tree
Hawthorns
Hazels
Linden
Magnolia
Maples
Mountain Ash
Sycamore
Tulip
Poplar
Willows"
rest of the article in the link below

http://www.thedailygreen.com/going-green/tips/2790

Making a Wildlife Garden
http://www.enfo.ie/Making%20A%20Wildlife%20Garden%20pdf.pdf

Great flowers start with pollination, and for that you need bees.
http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/features/plants-for-bees/

Attracting Bees
ttp://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Naturepets/bees/bees.htm
ormondsview
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: collapse of bees Reply with quote

Why are bees good for the garden? Read here about the collapse of the bee colony due to pesticides as the chief cause http://www.alternet.org/story/146701/bee_catastrophe%3A_1_3_of_colonies_died_this_winter%2C_threatening_massive_ecological_catastrophe

Thanks to the above post to let us know all about the benefits of bees and which flowers to put in. I'm doing lots of asclepias and tubular flowers.
Tip: when posting to the forum do a search of key term and find the previous discussion on the item. Saves our moderator some time.
avs0020
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Honeybees. Can i keep a hive even if I dont want the honey? Reply with quote

Hi there. thanks for your post. I had fun going through it and I have spent some time on the web as well because I am extremely concerned that I havent seen a single honey bee this season - lots of bumbles but no honeybees. I have loads of bee-friendly plants with more bee-favorite annuals following shortly. My bumble bees are positively obese.

Here is my question. Can I and should I start a hive bearing in mind that I get to garden in 5-minute snatches (job from hell) and I have to be realistic about how much time I have. I would have no desire to harvest the honey. I only want to give bees a place to live in my garden. However I am worried about multiple queens, displaced swarms, diseases and cleaning hives. How complicated is all of this if I dont want to farm the honey? And if I did start a hive where can I get some bees in Kerry? I should mention that I am in quite a rural setting. Thanks
sal

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has got bee`s,she had them 3 years ago then they dissappeared,she`s delighted her hives are now occupied,there is a get together of beekeepers in kerry she goes to,i`ll ask her when i see her wednesday,
avs0020

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sal. I'd really appreciate the info. And I am so glad your friend's bees came back. Gives me hope.
catman

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you might find this website interesting!!!!

http://www.sysonby.com/beecam
avs0020

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thansk Catman. Hope to get some quality computer time after the sun has set.
sal

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,got the info you want,have sent pm as phone number attached,
sal

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry Beekeepers Association,
i tried pm wouldnt send,so here is the next demonstration time,sun 16th may at eileen kiely`s apiary on the muckross rd,Killarney opposite the White Gates Hotel,a sign will be placed at the entrance,it says everyone welcome ,weather permitting,
they also have monthly meetings,at Teagisc office Killarney, will try again to send phone numbers,
sal

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sundays meeting is at 3pm,nearly forgot that vital piece of info,sorry
sal

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avs0020, managed to send phone numbers,did you get them?
avs0020

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks Sal Reply with quote

Hi Sal. Thank you so much for the phone numbers. yes I did get them but sadly I ddidnt get a chance to log in this weekend - silly day job interfering with my hobbies again - so I didnt see your posting re the Killarney meeting. I will give them a call and see when is next meeting or what else might be available. Thank you again for your help. I'm starting to really enjoy this website but then gardeners are always good people!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: