Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden.

in need of repair

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
EmmaKav
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: in need of repair Reply with quote

Hi all I'm new to this forum & gardening. I have recently inherited a large unrulely garden with our new house and i'm dying to get stuck in. One problem area though is a patch at the back which has been fenced off and obviously been used by the pervious owner to burn rubbish etc. How can I get this area back to full health ??!!
It would be the perfect spot to have a veg plot as I have three large dogs and it is already fenced off but I am seriously concerned as there was obviously plastic etc burnt in the area.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just dig it up after clearing back the debris. dig deep as much as 12 inches and if weeds grow there then vegetables will grow there. the soil may have been damaged by the heat of the fire but unlikely to be harmed by the residues of the fire.
give it a try and if weeds grow then veg will grow.
michael brenock horticultural advisor (retired)
EmmaKav

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a million Michael I will let you know how it goes.
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just add to Michaels advice about the deep digging to add peace of mind. And that is to as well as digging deep you should seriously think about growing your veg in raised beds.

This is normally a solution to poor quality or shallow soil but may be of use to you if you fear toxic soil.
Simply put, the raised bed is a mound of quality soil, contained or uncontained, which offers you the opportunity to grow veg on even barren plots.

Raised beds make it easy to create a deep, fertile soil, allowing you to add to your existing soil or to bring in a totally new soil mix to fill the beds. Here's what other benefits raised bed gardening will offer you....

1/ Because of the beds high edging, grass and weeds cannot encroach from nearby open ground.

2/ Should you receive excess rain, the water will drain from raised beds much quicker than that, which fell on the lower ground.

3/ Raised beds are easy to care for, even where wheelchair users are concerned, as they minimise bending.

As I said earlier, the beds can be contained or uncontained; personally, I find that raised beds are easier to maintain when they are contained within a solid edging material.

The materials to build your raised beds can be as simple or as elaborate as you like, anything from rough wood off-cuts to decorative bricks.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Irish Weeds & Pests and Diseases of the garden. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: