Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Hedging help!

Most Recent Posts 2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
funny
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Barlo
Rank attained: Hazel Tree
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Hedging help! Reply with quote

Folks,
I'd appreciate any advice on appropriate choice of hedging..I have a new site, with a barbed wire fence down one side, and was eager to cover it with a natural looking hedge as quickly as possible. To that end, I planted predominantly beech (bare rooted), some holly, evergreen oak, interspersed with cherry, lime trees and horse chestnut trees. The soil is a heavy clay that holds heavy rain on the surface when wet and dries hard in the summer. Generally very fertile, with thick pasture outside the fence and no boggy areas..After the first year a good proportion of the beech failed, and I replaced with some more. The remainder of the hedge flourished. Extensive ground work on the rest of the site, and heavy rain over last summer, seem to have killed off almost the entire hedge (ca. 70 metres long) this year, which, as you can imagine is dispiriting for the completely novice gardener. At least I'm assuming that the excess water is causing the problem.
I'm planning to dig some draining channels in the garden this summer. Can anyone recommend some seriously hardy plants suitable for replacement hedging in this type of soil? Or any other advice to avoid the same level of carnage next year?

Many thanks..
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While your heavy clay probably is very fertile, unfortunately the fertility is locked up in the clay. It may be that your best bet would be to take out a trench the length of your hedge and fill it with a good mix of topsoil, some peat and sharp sand then plant your hedge into that. Otherwise, mix some peat, sharp sand into your clay before planting. Give a top dressing of growmore type fertiliser and mulch with garden compost or farmyard manure anually.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Sive
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think hornbeam does better on clay than beech does...it might be worth trying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: