Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Can anyone identify this ground cover plant?

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: tagwex
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: tagwex
oops
Last post: Margo

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Quincy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Can anyone identify this ground cover plant? Reply with quote

And advise if it is a good choice for use as a growing weed supressant on a new border? Any other suggestions/alternatives?

Ive taken this snap of an individual plant out on its own (for clarity), but in the rest of the shrub bed I was looking at, you could not see any of the stones that lay beneath, 100% ground coverage.

Thanks,

Q
Bugs
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Cotoneaster , Quincy . From your description possibly Cotoneaster Dammeri . I was just wondering why this one has so few leaves , when you have total ground cover on the rest.
Cool Bugs

Quincy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is planted all around the car park in my place of work. The south facing car park is 100% covered witht this stuff but in the shaded area (where I took the pic) the growth was stunted and very few leaves on the branches/stems...

I have a pretty large border I recently developed at home. I have the hard landscaping almost complete just to finish the retaining walls hopefully this coming weekend. I did plant some shrubs there just to get a feel for what we'd like.... but the rabbits came and decimated. all that survived were the Rhodedanderons (untouched) and a few other lucky shrubs they only nibbled on, i had to dig them up and pot away in safety.
I noticed this morning that we have a load of rabbits living here in the grounds of my workplace and this groundcover plant is untouched by the little nibblers.....

How prolific is the stuff?

heres a pic of the bed on the south facing side of the car park.
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quincy wrote:

Its extremely hardy , my only advice is to make sure that the ground you are planting it in is clean , particularly of grass . once planted it forms a dense groundcover and if the ground was not cleaned properly you will never be able to weed it . It is an excellant plant for banks and sloping ground
Cool Bugs

verge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Cotoneaster dammerii for ground cover Reply with quote

Quincy wrote:

Very prolific. In fact some people curse the day they put in in. I have seen one or two septic tank areas planted with it where it (Cotoneaster dammerii) took over.
But, if you are handy with a loppers or trimmers once a year you should have no problem. Once a year in early spring of course, you dont want to miss out on any flowers or berries due to an incorrect pruning time.
I agree wit bugs on the weedy grass problem. To avoid this you must plant into clean weed free soil and mulch arount the plants with bark or gravel. If you plant through a mypex or plantex that is even better.
Try brushing back the gravel on the beds in work, you should see mypex or plantex underneath as those beds seem fairly weed free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: