Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

White curling leaves on Tomato plants.

Most Recent Posts At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
Ancient human remains found of the first politician
Last post: marlin vs
Who's growing what ???
Last post: Sneachta
Gardening Books
Last post: tagwex

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Dulchie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: White curling leaves on Tomato plants. Reply with quote

Hello everybody.

I have just started growing some veg this year and have just got my new glasshouse finished. I have transplanted my tomatoes into tubs and put them in the greenhosue. They are in there about 1 week now and now I am seeing a lot of the leaves turning white and curling up. I have grown them from seed and would not like to loose them at this stage. Things I am thinking of are heat, ventilation, overwatering etc... I have attached a few photos in the hope that someone can give me urgent advice.

09052009(009).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.61 KB
 Viewed:  4995 Time(s)

09052009(009).jpg

09052009(011).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.11 KB
 Viewed:  4995 Time(s)

09052009(011).jpg

Last edited by Dulchie on Sat May 09, 2009 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be botritis after going into cool, humid conditions, or warm and humid. But more likely cooler than they've been. difficult to tell without a visual. Does it wipe off or look powdery?
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Dulchie

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill
I have attached a couple of photos now. they didnt work first time as the files were too big. Sad .
The leaves are just curling up and dying...I had the palnts growing in the kitchen until I moved them into the greenhouse. Since I moved them the weather over the last week has not been too helpful.They have been sitting in full sun and we have also had gale force winds and rain...
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun scorch, Dulchie, you need to get shading on it ASAP. Everything will fry that you put in.
You can buy powder shade that you mix with water and paint on or spray on. By the time autumn comes and your needing more light in the greenhouse, the shading is nearly weathered off, if not, on a dry day it wipes off with a dry cloth, dry being the operative word. One type called Vari-shade becomes opaque in wet weather to let a bit more light through. By the time sun shines through glass and directly onto your plants it becomes lethal. Moisture or water on the leaves will hasten it and increase the scorch. There is a mistaken belief that all you need to do is put up a greenhouse and put plants in and everything is hunky-dory, shade is crucial. Have you thermometer in the greehouse? Check your maximum on it, bet it's soaring. Temps shouldn't exceed 85f unless your growing cactus.
Your greenhouse is way out in the open, so you will need shade all around it top to bottom.
You only have one opening light as far as I can see, on the oposite side from it replace a low sheet of glass with a louvre vent to get lots of air circulation, another crucial thing. You can replace the louvre vent with the sheet of glass again come late autumn. If possible, get another opening light to fit oposite the one already in, that way you can always open a light on the leeward side rather than the windward. Same with the louvre vent, or you could put the louvre vent in the back end of the greenhouse.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
stooriefit

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Liparis ,its sun scorch. Don't water over the leaves as water on the leaves magnifies the suns strength and causes the scorching. Follow Liparis good advice and also only water into the pot and not over the leaves.
Jock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: