Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area

last years lawn efforts

Most Recent Posts oops
Last post: kindredspirit
funny
Last post: kindredspirit
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Margo
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
Quincy
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: last years lawn efforts Reply with quote

A pic of my back lawn last september...

This years lawn has a way to go yet. Thank god its cooled down a bit and the rain is back. Things beginning to green up again.... a never ending struggle for greenness!
Sugar_Ape
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree
Rank attained: Silver Birch Tree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah that's some amount of cutting right there. I hope you have a ride-on mower Quincy Shocked Looks great!
verge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some ranch you got there Quincy.
Nice stripes.
volga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well groomed large lawn area. green acres Laughing
MargeSimpson
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks fab! But what do you mean by ;
This years lawn has a way to go yet ?
Quincy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MargeSimpson wrote:
that looks fab! But what do you mean by ;
This years lawn has a way to go yet ?

Its a long story....... but I guess we have some time here.

Over the last few years, I was devoted to my lawn, fertilising every time there was a hint of malnutrition, watering it regularly during the warm summer months, watching the lawn almost every day for signs of invasion by whatever pest may show and deal with it instantly... weeds, insects, dog pee..... you name it, I was in total control. I would cut the grass maybe 2-3 times a week in the strongest growth periods on my ride on mower. Stripes.... you have no idea, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, circles, waves, and on and on. Whatever my imagination could muster. A man proud of his lawn to be sure.
Problems started when I changed my job. My old job was a bit boring really and my creative energy was put fully into my lawn. I took a new job at the end of last year which involved a lot of travelling so I spent longer and longer away from home. The lawn was neglected..... sad really, but the new job required my devotion, so off i went.
If lucky, this year, it would get a quick cut every 3rd week, cutting it hard back maybe 2/3rds of the blade removed with one pass. A chore to be done and put aside instead of enjoyed. Big stress to the lawn but I had no choice unless I wanted silage!
NOW, Im back for good, working at home, and with more time available in the evenings and weekends but a plethora of issues on my half acre of grass. It really got hit by major stress this year. By my cutting the bejesus out of it every 3 weeks and the heat and dry spells, it is knackered compared to last years efforts. Thin patches, general yellowing, clover a major problem, a selection of various weeds, and I'm expecting moss to be an issue soon with the warm damp weather on the way...
I started the remedial work by sitting here at my PC doing some research on where I should start in the big recovery plan. I dont want to burn it all off and start again, I am hoping to bring it back just by feeding it, dealing with the weed issues and over seeding. A lot of work ahead over the next few weeks. Bloody 'ell, I talk too much! Twisted Evil
Anyway thats my story, I'm just in from the lawn now after spreading out a load of granular fertiliser, bring on the forecasted rain over the next few days, things should start to happen soon. Next step is to hit it with a selective herbicide (2-4d) in a couple of weeks and then some sulphate of iron to deal with the moss later in the month..... I hope by over seeding thereafter will give it new vigour for next year.

Lets see what happens...

Any suggestions on improving my plan?

Last edited by Quincy on Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MargeSimpson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! I've never heard someone speak (type) so passionately about their lawn. Don't get me wrong, I do admire your work. Maybe it wouldn't do me any harm to be more interested in my lawn!
James Kilkelly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: lawn Renovation Suggestions. Reply with quote

Quincy wrote:

Any suggestions on improving my plan?

It is great to see a person such as yourself being so proactive in your approach to lawn care Quincy.
You seem to be going the right way about your lawn renewal.
Your fertilising will help prevent extra clover which tends to thrive in nitrogen depleated soil..
Please let me make two suggestions....

Select a lawn weedkiller that contains the active ingrediants Dicamba or Mecoprop rather than 24-D. Clover tends to be quite resistant to 24-D.

Save your overseeding until you finish your final cut of the season.
Overseeding then will still germinate but it will not suffer the vacuum effect of regular mowing.

http://www.allotments.ie/ Ireland's allotments.
On Twitter... http://twitter.com/Allotments

Garden Consultation & Design.

Try my Garden Design home study course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Garden Photo gallery & Plant Identification area All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: