Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

how to lime acidic soil

Most Recent Posts Quiet times
Last post: tagwex
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup
Last post: Sue Deacon
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: kindredspirit
Ancient human remains found of the first politician
Last post: marlin vs

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
sharonl
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: how to lime acidic soil Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a query regarding liming the soil on my allotment. We did a pH test over the weekend and found the soil is acidic. Before we plant out our brassicas do we need to dig lime into the soil, rake it in before planting or do we apply it as a top dressing around the plants. How in general is it applied. We've already sown some peas and beans, leeks, carrots and parsnip, and onions, and the lettuce and sweetcorn bed is to be sown this weekend so a bit too late for digging in but would it be ok to use the lime as a top dressing for seeds already sown. As we got the allotment very late in the season manure hasn't been applied to any of the beds this year as we are in a bit of a rush to get things in and started, we were going to use it as a mulch later on once the seedlings are up. I know manure and lime should not be used close together so any suggestions on how we sort out our acid soil but at the same time add nutrients over the growing season? We were going to apply growmore as a feed during the growing season but having just read up on it I can't see it referred to as organic anywhere and we are trying to stay as organic as possible. Any help is much appreciated.

sharon Very Happy

Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet will be to top dress the bed with hydrated lime and work it into the soil with your rake. Then plant your Sweet corn. As for the beds already planted, dress up between the rows, keeping it away from the stems a few inches and gently work it in with the fork. You won't need to go too deep or close, the weather will do the rest.
I know you were pushed for time this year, try and get manure in during autumn and your lime on the garden when your preparing the beds in early spring.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
sharonl

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Bill Very Happy Grand so, we may have vegetables yet!!

sharon

walltoall
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: blogging along on a wing and a prayer Reply with quote

Grand blog you've done there Sharoni. The photos are the biz and the text sparkles. You guys have made terrific progress in a short time. I would get tired just reading what you've done
sharonl

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Walltoall, Very Happy

Its my first time allotmenteering so thought it might as well be my first time blogging too! I'm only hoping my carrot fly barrier has lasted through the wind we've had over the last week. Shocked we're having a lot of fun with it.

sharon

Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you Sharon, for making the effort. Every year you'll be getting better at it - in a year or two you'll be giving advice instead of seeking it. Keep it up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: