Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland

Protecting my Griselinia

Most Recent Posts funny
Last post: tagwex
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Ado 2
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
micmaher
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Protecting my Griselinia Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum.

I planted Griselinia late last summer and its now begining to reach up over the garden wall. However, some troublesome teens have been repeatedly picking at the leaves.

Is there anything I could do to prevent people picking at it? Maybe there is a harmless spray that elicits a slight odour or is sticky to the touch?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think there's much you can do, Michael, apart from tell off the offenders. Failing that the only other option would be razor fencing through the shrubs, but that's not helpfull Rolling Eyes
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
micmaher

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, if there is no biological option I might try protect with a wire fence until thy grow
Sarah Evans
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree
Rank attained: Hawthorn Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so frustrating when ones efforts are hampered by the ignorance of others. I used to live in south London we had the burden of a bus stop outside our house and we had plants removed, litter dumped etc etc. I had to change what I wanted to acheive so some pyracantha was used....
029 60084
www.thesecretgardener.com
cooler
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree
Rank attained: Sessile Oak Tree

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Protecting my Griselinia Reply with quote

micmaher how about an outdoor socket plus one of these bad boys http://www.personalalarms.com/store/erol.html#743x0&&http%3A%252F%252Fwww.personalalarms.com%252F
May be a bit expensive though. Laughing . Sarah Evans mentioned the pyracantha and on a similar thought how about growing a few rambling roses through the hedge. These thorny flowering beauties are something the kids may not want to tangle with. You will of course have to tangle with them when trimming your hedge though.

micmaher

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driveway was paved when I moved in, I took up some of the paving to plant the griselinea but there is limited space for further planting. If they prick leaves of the griselinea it won't actually harm the bush from forming/growing will it?

Those mosquito devices are ingenius. I have a two year old son though otherwise I would consider one. Thanks
Liparis
Rank attained: Orchard owner

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have room, some Rosa rugosa would do the trick. Once they handle that they won't do it again, beautiful shrub rose which makes a dense bush and the prickles absolutely cover it, you can't help getting thorns, even with the lightest brush against it, the thorns are fine and hair-like, mind you, you would need to take care for your two-year-old, but it flowers so profusely. I used to hate it when it was time to trim the Rosa rugosa hedges, but loved it at all other times of the year. It can keep cattle out as well. You could put a plant in here and there in strategic places.
Bill.

http://www.species-specific.com/orchid-forum/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Shrubs in Ireland ... Hedging in Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: