Irish Gardeners Forum Home
 FAQFAQ   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Custom Search

Weather Report /
Moon Phase for Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland

Anyone familiar with "Pink Lady" apples in shops?

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Most Recent Posts Christmas reading.
Last post: Greengage
2016 Vegetable quizz.
Last post: Greengage
At last! A garden joke. (except maybe it's not a joke!)
Last post: Sue Deacon
Skimmia seed wanted
Last post: Brendankearns

Visit TheGardenShop.ie
michelle M
Rank attained: Rowan Tree

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Anyone familiar with "Pink Lady" apples in shops? Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide what apple tree's to sow? The pink lady apples are a favourite in our house, so I'm wondering if anyone might know what varieties available in ireland that might be something similar?

I also want to sow a bramley apple tree, which I think needs two pollinators?? Can these be dessert or cooking varieties once they flower at the same time?
michael brenock
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a pollinator for the bramley can be either dessert or cooker as long as it flowers at the same time. Usually unless you are living in total isolation the bees will find their way to you with pollen even from one of the ornamental crabs(malus species).
varieties of apples are very personal and Pink lady is a beautiful variety but I have not seen it available in the garden centres
michael brenock Horticultural advisor (retired)
Sean Ph'lib
Rank attained: Ash Tree

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Lady apples are an unusual story. I might be wrong, but I believe they're grown only under license - and the growers have a sort of monopoly. All the apples are graded, and the ones less than perfect are sold as "Cripp's Pink" (I think that's the name). They're the same apples as Pink Lady - may be even from the same tree - but are just second grade. I think they're mostly grown in Australasia, South Africa etc., so they might not succeed in Ireland - like Granny Smiths. To be honest, there are far better apples you can grow here.
michelle M

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael and Sean.

Sean, I have actually read all that, I meant that I am looking for an irish variety instead, but that might be a bit similar in taste or at least an apple with a bit of a "bite" in it. I hate soft apples. If I look at a list of varieties, I've no idea what they are like-never heard of most of them. I'm thinking of royal gala and looking for a suggestion for another dessert apple, please
Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite apples is Spartan - very deep red (almost purple), very crisp, juicy and aromatic. A good cropper and a precocious fruiter.
Another trouble-free variety you might try is Kidd's Orange Red - a very large, crisp and juicy apple; aromatic, great flavour and one of the best-keeping dessert apples I grow.
If you want a good early eater, you can't get better than St Edmund's Pippin. I have just one tree of this, and people go mad for it - crisp, delicious flavour; only bear in mind - early apples don't keep: you'll want to eat - or sell - them within a week of picking.
For a late variety which keeps for months, you could try Fiesta: very hard and crunchy, great flavour - very similar to Cox, which is one of its parents. Only problem with it is: it's a bit prone to scab and is such a heavy cropper you have to thin - even after allowing the sawfly to do his worst!
If you want just one - I'd go for Kidd's. It's also self-fertile, so you'll have no fertilisation problems.
Incidentally, be careful with Bramley's seedling if you grow it - it makes a huge tree. Even the clone, which is supposed to be more compact, grows very big.
michelle M

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Sean. I like to have a few idea's in my head before I go to the garden centre. Our local one tends to tell us what we want to hear and when I go home and research it, it's not what suits at all.
I have enough space for the bramley, I have nearly 1/2 an acre untouched and the apples are the only things that I have decided on for it yet.
Now to narrow down the list you gave me Question
Garden fairie
Rank attained: Hazel Tree

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Michelle. I bought two apple trees last week a 'Summer red', and a 'Bloody Butcher'.
I knew the 'butcher' was a cooker and the garden center led me to believe the other is an eater. It was only when I researched it on the net that I found it to be a cooker also.
Don't get me wrong- I'm delighted, it seems that it makes pink apple sauce. Very Happy
Have a look here, they give a little description for each apple.
http://www.futureforests.net/br_fruit.htm
Kay

michelle M

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There'a a good selection there, Kay, thanks. The descriptions are handy- I haven't seen that done anywhere else.
Stewart

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Ph'lib wrote:
Pink Lady apples are an unusual story. I might be wrong, but I believe they're grown only under license - and the growers have a sort of monopoly. All the apples are graded, and the ones less than perfect are sold as "Cripp's Pink" (I think that's the name). They're the same apples as Pink Lady - may be even from the same tree - but are just second grade. I think they're mostly grown in Australasia, South Africa etc., so they might not succeed in Ireland - like Granny Smiths. To be honest, there are far better apples you can grow here.

Pink Lady is just a brand name, like Jaffa is to oranges.
The apple variety is Cripps Pink.
The level of coloring dictates how they are marketed.
For example, 80% pink would be M&S specification and 60% pink would be Superquinn specification.
silver pigeon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Michelle M.

I know your query about apples is month old and I may be too late, but I have just joined and love talking about orchards!

Anyway, as regards varieties:

Specifically Irish ones include -
Kerry Pippin - a small rich and firm eater
Ross Nonpareil - from Meath, a pretty Victorian dessert variety, but maybe not so crisp as KP.

Both of them were recommended by an ex-fruit officer at Wisely. They are unusual so not sold in a garden centre. I guess it depends on what lengths you want to go to get some interesting trees. I would suggest the Irish Seed Savers Association in Scarriff as they graft their own trees and sell them. I have found the Armagh Orchard Trust very helpful in the past too. There are of course loads more and the ISSA and AOT will be more expert.

Others for your orchard -
I would agree with the choice of Kidd's Orange Red, a NZ variety. My personal favourite is Egremont Russet, a nutty crisp eater that will store. As an additional cooker, might I recommend Arthur Turner, a large fruit that makes a great sweet baked apple! Another eater is Ashmead's Kernel which tastes like acid drops! It likes a good spring though... Aside from KOR which was bred in 1924, all the others are Victorian.

As for pollination: As Bramley is triploid it will need 2 pals to fruit - KOR and AK will do the job, whilst KP, Egremont and Arthur Turner will take care of each other. I think all are available via mail order from companies like Keeper's nursery in Kent.

Good luck and happy planting!
michelle M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that silver pigeon. I'll look into those too. Not a bit too late with suggestions, I'm still in planning mode. The area that i have chosen for the fruit isn't ready yet.
Sean Ph'lib

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashmead's Kernel is a good one, right enough. I have two; it's not a great cropper - a bit slow to come into fruit and not a very heavy bearer, but the flavour is outstanding.
michelle M

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definately want a Bramley, I think I've fairly much decided on a Kidd's orange red. For a third tree I'm still undecided - maybe the Ashmead's kernel, Spartan, fiesta or Royal Gala. Must refer back to the topic on choosing apple tree's to check them for pollination groups
Midnight Rambler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know where I could source a Kidd's Orange Red apple tree, as recommended above. I've tried multiple GCs, nurseries and Irish online sellers, but to no avail. Is this tree possibly deemed unsuitable for Irish conditions?
TIA.
tagwex
Rank attained: Chlorophyll for blood

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try English's Fruit Nursery Ltd. in Wexford. He may not have it but i would say he knows where to source it, very knowledgeable man.

This boy can really sing http://youtu.be/Dgv78D2duBE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Irish Gardeners Forum Home -> Vegetable growing, fruit and allotments in Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: